The new AR.....

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: The new AR.....

Post by RBHarter »

I sent away the bird cage to a fellow in Vegas that removed the offending shoulder and lengthened the threads. This allows the FH to seat on the bbl shoulder and in a stroke of dumb luck to be clocked correct hand tight .

I haven't had time/weather/opportunity to get to the range with the 6.8 . I did pull the 223 down and it doesn't seem to be showing the phenomenon. Caliber /pressures /cartridge /powder ??? Odd that the same FH ,crown ,alloy would be so different.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Upon a close inspection of some of the fired brass ,some as much as 4x some 1x , I found that most of the brass was showing some rounding almost as if the crimp wasn't flattening out on firing . Some under good light ,something I find myself needing more of lately , I found a slight line . It would seem that I have a chamber with a short neck . The brass was all under maxim case length but it seems that this particular chamber is a little short . Problem removed ,all 200 trimed to min length ...... to the range ....... maybe when we get back into the 40s.

Cabin fever is beginning to set in.......
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

RB, perchance did you get out a good bore light/magnifier and do an inspection on that chamber for finishing flaws? I think I would and if it looks rough, I'd get someone with a finish reamer to re-do the chamber and bring the chamber to proper length at the same time. That picture of the first brass you fired in the rifle got me thinking it might be a rough chamber and not necessarily the brass or load.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The steel parts are all finished in Melonite. It's a fancy name ,maybe a trade mark, for a nitride finish . Taking it 1 step further into lay terms the whole bbl is raised to around 500 degrees and then case hardened with and ammonia bath . It is discouraged to do more than a polish of the inside .
I do have a remedial bore scope that I could have a look with . It's about 1890-1915 medical tool. I wanted that box at a yard sale turned out to be useful for more than a pretty box.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

RBHarter wrote:The steel parts are all finished in Melonite. It's a fancy name ,maybe a trade mark, for a nitride finish . Taking it 1 step further into lay terms the whole bbl is raised to around 500 degrees and then case hardened with and ammonia bath . It is discouraged to do more than a polish of the inside .
I do have a remedial bore scope that I could have a look with . It's about 1890-1915 medical tool. I wanted that box at a yard sale turned out to be useful for more than a pretty box.
that being the case, I think I'd be calling the maker and asking what the hey
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I've run into this before ,a 1915 model 14 32 Remington . I think that the most likely answer is that this is a SAAMI correct chamber .......that's not right because it is in fact the Spec 2 chamber and that isn't SAAMI yet .

I was just reading a post by the guy that runs ARP . He was saying that even the the "big 3" ammo makers are all over on brass spec ,all within the accepted std but pretty enough different that minimum dimensions of the largest ammo still leaves the small ammo sloppy. I think the fit comes from the cartridge being introduced as GI . There are 5 chambers for 223 that are called 223 or 223/556. Until the spec 2 is standardized, beyond all of the reamer makers cutting the same cut ,this will happen . I also understand that I may have the last bbl cut with that reamer or the 1st. Either way while it is within spec it may be at the big end or the small and it may be at the short end but headspace correctly. With the knowledge in hand that the neck is just under maximum case length it's really no different than that Remington 760 I had ,that thing was nearly a match chamber. It had to be full length sized every time and with some loads wouldn't even chamber brass fired in it. Which is only funny because at the time I had a Savage with a fat shoulder and an 03A3 that was long from the head to the shoulder/body ,I think the 760 was long from the head to neck shoulder also . Point being that all 3 were within spec but without a hammer they wouldn't share brass without being full length sized . The problem was solved with LC for the Savage ,Remington for the 760 and Winchester in the 03A3 and a 2nd sizer set to leave .08 of the necks as fired .

I will regard this as a particular of this rifle .

As a side note the accepted 6.8 SPCII is almost an AI with a long leade .
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Finally after several months of family, friends , X wife drama ,holiday blues and a 6 week winter I made it out to get some much needed recoil therapy.

The FH modification worked perfectly completely eliminating the back blast and tinning . The brass is all trimmed to 1.770 . Seating out to 2.285 , maximum magazine length.

I didn't take targets just spots on a box. I reshot the H322 at 23.2-23.8 in .2 steps .
23.6 closed to under an inch with 23.8 opening up to 4" . They are only at 2100 fps about 100 fps short of my target velocity. I expect 975 ftlb @100 will probably reduce a hog to pork chops as well as 1010.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Sounds like you're getting it there. Glad to hear you're getting some recoil time after all that. Having personally experienced many years of ex wife drama, I can totally understand what a pain that can be. Worst part is, you get dragged into it, because of children, wether you want to be or not. Younger the kids are, the more often it seems to happen. Good news is once those kids are grown, you can pretty much ignore it.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

We went our ways by residence over 10 yr ago, on paper over just a few weeks short of 8. The baby is 26 . She just has no crackers let in the box . Besides she owes me from the parting of ways so in the end I was very nice to her knowing that a very special place is set aside for her and Jeffery Dalmer is saving her seat . ;)

Looking at the dates you can see this was a haul to get here but I think probably worth every step.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

What is it with X-wives they don't want you living with them but want to include you in all their doings which are mostly bad.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Reloading”