The new AR.....

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: The new AR.....

Post by RBHarter »

Her plan was to prove she could raise grands as well as I could , cause you know it's a competition to fill your prime earning years with a second family just to prove you can take your kids kids away with a story line based on a match stick of truth twisted and fluffed to look like the 1910 Coney Island roller coaster . She's probably better at it than Hellery but w/o resources.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Looking back on this thread it has been quite a haul getting to this point . I consider that it was a focused project for a while and now it's been a month or more between shoots . Looking back it was monumental in a way, I started it with basically a completely unknown platform to me that had to meet a window of requirements. It has to have enough gas to cycle the action but not so much that it rips the rims off extracting a round before the breach pressure is off enough to release the case . Having a targeted velocity minimum with a cast bullet that "can't be shot that fast because cast can't be shot faster than pistol speeds" or something, added to the challenge. It has added a whole level of education to the perfection of sister 7x6.8 mildcat Carcano with the same load should meet the requirements based on the additional 5" of bbl alone but also the lack of the gas drop off . I think even a rifle length gas tube over the mid length would give me the other 100 fps especially if I had another 2" of bbl ,18 vs 16.

I didn't shoot groups today with that rifle today . Instead Ms started shooting for the hog hunt . Now bear in mind she didn't do much shooting last fall as she didn't have a tag and not a lot of shooting last spring either and she has only been a true admirer of shooting for about 4 yr . She hasn't shot the AR platform at all until today. I feel pretty good about her having 7/10 on an 8" flat rock at 130 yd and figuring out the hold under and wind for herself . The rifle has shot 3s and 5s into 2" @ 100 doing work ups and really I don't expect much more than that from a basic, nothing ,lowest bidder , GI grade commercial rifle the cost less than the Rossi 92' or a low average hunting rifle .

I believe Ms will be well equipped to put the smack down on porky in May heck she might even do some quality shooting at the cast boolits shoot.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey Rich - which AR was your Ms. shooting that day? I got a bit confused with such a long thread... :lol:

couldn't tell if it was 6.8 or what!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

It was the 6.8 .

The 223 came right together as the goal for it is different and it is a slightly different platform. Add in acres of data for any bullet ,powder or case combination and it's a cinch to hit a good load .

Return to “Rifle Reloading”