Rossi R92 with Heavy Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Rossi R92 with Heavy Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

Three days ago, I decided to proceed with my heavy bullet project for my 357 Mag Scout. That is using my 190-grain 35 Rem bullet, the TLC359-190-RF, trying to up the terminal performance on hogs. In a nutshell, I want to at least knock them off their feet so if they are still gon'na run, they have to expend some of their limited energy getting back on their feet.

To make this long round flat nosed bullet work, I have to use 38 Spl brass. With that brass I get a very good match on on the first Micro Band lube groove and can use it as a crimp groove.

As luck would have it, I didn't get to work on the project on day one beyond the planning stage as our microwave oven caught on fire, nothing a ranch dog can't handle, but it redirected me to house duties for the day.

Yesterday, I started again but was running short on the day so I just went straight to the max load of Lil'Gun that QuickLoad suggested, 15.0-grains, loaded three and went up to the range. I shot the 3 rounds at 25 yards and was less than impressed. I expect the bullets to touch at that distance and they looked more like a 100-yard target that I would work find acceptable. I sat there looking downrange at the target and thought "these bullets need to be pushed harder to tighten them up with the 1:30 rate of twist".

I walked back down the hill to my room and loaded twelve cartridges with 15.5-grains despite the QuickLoad recommendations. I went back up the hill, didn't bother to set a target at 25-yards again, going out to 50-yards, shot three and said "Wow!" They were darn near touching. I shot three at 100 yards and was extremely happy!

You have to love that long flat 190-grain nose! This bullet is being used with 38 Spl brass loaded to 357 Mag pressures.

Something about this cartridge's looks that tells me it will make the 357 Mag a hog knocker!

The bullet's first Micro-Band lube groove is a perfect match for a 1.600" OAL. The length and long tapered nose of the TLC359-190-RF makes it feed like it has been greased!

Three shots at 100-yards, good enough for me! I made a final scope correction of 2 clicks up and right and didn't bother to shoot it again. The next step is to chronograph it. Quickload says the 15.5-grains of Lil'Gun is going to generate 1770 FPS.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Rossi R92 with Heavy Bullets

Post by 357cyrus »

I'm trying not to buy a lever action 357... And this isn't helping. Acceptable hunting accuracy on the 2nd powder charge... I tested a lot of handloads this summer and wish ida had that luck. I think the next step should be pointing it out the window at a pig tonight.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Good Job.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:I'm trying not to buy a lever action 357... And this isn't helping. Acceptable hunting accuracy on the 2nd powder charge... I tested a lot of handloads this summer and wish ida had that luck. I think the next step should be pointing it out the window at a pig tonight.
First one down, north Quail project. 80 yard on knee. POA = POI. Knocked it off its feet, ran in place for 15 second & DRT.

190 grain did not exit.

Came off ranch east of me, intercepted about 150 yards into project.

Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Booyah
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
r1200r

Post by r1200r »

I cant keep reading threads like this, now i want one. Those hogs good eats?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

You want a hog, a .357 Rossi, or the bullet mold?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

GasGuzzler wrote:You want a hog, a .357 Rossi, or the bullet mold?
I'm thinking he wants all three. +guns +guns +guns
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

r1200r wrote:I cant keep reading threads like this, now i want one. Those hogs good eats?
Yeap!
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

those are sexy rounds you have put together. Awesome Idea
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Rifle Reloading”