CZ 527 American and .22 K Hornet? - need smart approach

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

CZ 527 American and .22 K Hornet? - need smart approach

Post by DaveInGA »

Here's what I have on my mind:

On the way to me is a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet. My plan is to have it reamed to .22 K Hornet to save on the brass, based on what I've learned. When it comes back, I'm wanting to cast for it with bullets in the range of 30 to 45 grains for short range shooting, under most likely 50 yards. Targets will be pest varmints like grey squirrels and rabbits getting into the wife's garden this spring. (It was bad last year.)

A potential problem I see is Lee, my favorite starter die set brand, doesn't offer a .22 K hornet and I've never had a smith ream or make a die just for a rifle he's reamed the chamber for me. I've mostly dealt in milsurps and semi autos in my past shooting.

I'm thinking on send a Lee FL die along with the rifle to be reamed with the same reamer as the rifle, so I'll have a FL die if need be. I am going to be buying new .22 Hornet brass and plan to buy some Privi Partisan cartridges to fire form in this rifle as well.

But before I do, I'd like to hear if this is my best option from other .22 K Hornet owners on their thoughts about this. Can ya'll help me out?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: CZ 527 American and .22 K Hornet? - need smart approach

Post by RBHarter »

The die and chamber reamers are different reamers .
I know this isn't the most cost effective solution, but check out Huntingtons. It is likely that they will have K Hornet dies on hand , they are the die supplier for RCBS . For Lee sets I've been surprised several times by what Titian has stashed away in the limited and very limited run die catagories .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

Why I didn't know this, I don't know. Thank you for reminding me on the hardness difference. I think I will go with a neck sizer and a quality premium seater as this will be my only rifle in this caliber.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've never owned a K but guys I used to shoot with did. They made nearly all their cases by firing regular Hornets in the rifles.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Rifle Reloading”