308 recipe needed

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
btoran
My Press Choice: Turret

308 recipe needed

Post by btoran »

All - My cousin just picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308. He intends to shoot paper at 100-300 yards (mostly at 200 yards). He's not interested in the heaviest bullet he can push, but rather, the lightest that can be shot accurately. Can someone recommend a good recipe, including bullet type/weight for this application?

also, until now, I've been reloading only 357 on my turret press. what else would I need for my cousin to reload 308 on my turret press? obviously a new turret and a set of dies, but which dies? which case prep tools are needed (I don't have any for my 357)? if it matters, he will be decapping first and wet tumbling with stainless pins to clean the primer pockets.

i need to go back and re-read the rifle reloading sections of my books, but is there anything I need that I haven't asked about?

thanks in advance.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: 308 recipe needed

Post by mikld »

Normlly I don't give load data on forums, mainly because I pay no attention to any load data on any forum. But I have had good results with Hornady A-Max bullets with Low to medium charges of Varget, and IMR 4064...

For your rifle reloading needs a standard 2 die set will do. If you get into trying for most accurate ammo in a bolt gun, neck sizing is a good option. Consistency is the major factor in reloading, if you choose to form, uniform primer pockets, flash holes, deburr flash holes, trim all brass to within .002", do all cases the same. Some measure bullets and weigh them and group them according to the least variation (mebbe 1 grain for weight and .001" for diameter).

For my Ruger bolt gun, I use a neck sizing die (Lee collet die) and keep my powder charges to +/- .1 grain (and since I'll weigh all my powder charges I can better that to .01" grain and many will say that's too much work for little results, but it's my time). I'm not a great shot and have gotten many sub one inch groups @ 100 yds., a few 3/4", a couple 1/2" and one at 3/8" (a fluke? :roll: and I ain't gonna tel you about my 3" groups on a "bad eye day") using just my methods...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 20accuracy
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If you can find them Winchester makes a 147gr FMJ boat tail that makes a really good paper puncher at a reasonable price. With attentive reloading I was able to get consistent 1.5" groups at 100 yards with a rack grade Blue Sky Garand. That's from an 06 in an old war horse, I expect the 308 in a good bolt gun would do better.

Were I a master level competitor I might consider lobbing the high priced spread at paper, but I shoot mostly for fun these days and I'm Cheap. I'd shoot cast in it but the old boy has never particularly liked what I tried in it so the Winchester bullet gave me a cheap alternative. Back in the days of the big gun shows here in Dayton there was a component dealer that sold them in bulk. I've still got some and I'm looking for more but not real hard right now. Should i find a source I'll pass it on.

Later that same day :) :) . Did a quick look at the usual suspects. Discovered that one of my local guys ET Brass (http://www.etbrass.com) lists the Winchester bullet and Widners (http://www.widners.com) list a General Dynamics made bullet that is the spitting image of the one I use. Prices have gone up but it's still a reasonable bullet for paper punching.

Make smoke,
Last edited by Ohio3Wheels on 28 Mar 2016 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Probably a chamfer tool, I like the Lyman VLD.
A case trimmer of some sort there are lots of choices and price ranges.
As to dies nothing wrong with our name sake . I've put off the neck sizing included die sets too long in the Lee family. Just buy the 4 die Lee set it comes with the shell holder and basic data and it's not over $5-10 more than most of the competitions 2 die rifle sets less than some .
Another loading manual .

Most any 30 cal Spitzer ,spire point or fmj of 140-168 gr will more than do the job for paper punching out well beyond 300 yd . There are some 125 gr bullets available as well as a half jacket Speer calls Plinkers. I can't vouch for any of these 100-125 bullets as I haven't shot any of them .

There are probably 15 or more powder choices ,8 primers, and over all length adjustments to get best accuracy.

I've had good results several 150 and 165 gr bullets in a Savage 110 308 ,most recently a 165 Amax with 4350 at around 2700 fps .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
btoran

Post by btoran »

Thanks for the replies so far. As far as case trimming in concerned, can anyone recommend a product that does a good job but doesn't break the bank?
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Have you perused Lee's website? There are several affordable options. Other manufacturers have their choices as well at a generally much higher price. Call me Obvious Man.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Or Titian Reloading.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

RBHarter wrote:Or Titian Reloading.

+1 Good people and cheaper than the Lee site.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Reloading”