What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by 9x80Drilling »

As my hunting partner and I are getting ready for a Wyoming pronghorn hunt at the end of October, I filled a 50 round box worth of .45 Colt cartridges with my LilGun load (24.5 gr in nickel Starline cases) under 250 gr XTPs for my R92, and another box of .357s for his Marlin. His load is 158 XTP FPs, also over LilGun, 18 grs.

We both have many, many cast bullet rounds at the ready; they're all lopers, under speed for the demands of most speed goats in the sage. Over the years I have shot quite a few goats well under 75 yards. A 250 gr SWC over 8 grs of Unique takes them right down at what could be called revolver range.

These loads will also be in our lever guns come November when we are stalking whitetails once again in Wyoming.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck Drilling, hope you will provide us with the tales of the hunt!
Michael
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Thanks RD. This will be my first year carrying a smartphone, so I have no excuse for not photographing the trips, right?
Roger
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

9x80Drilling wrote:Thanks RD. This will be my first year carrying a smartphone, so I have no excuse for not photographing the trips, right?
Roger
Right!
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I finally had an hour to call my own tonight and loaded 50 Nosler JSHP 158's over 13.3 of of AA#9 to play with in my 16" R92 .357 mag. I had 130 cast RNFP 158's lubed and ready to load next, but Mrs. Surveyor came home from church earlier than expected. It's taken a few years to learn, but I do NOT handle gun powder while she's home (or anyone else). No possible distractions!

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I put together a few .223 rounds for m Handi-Rifle. I remembered why reloading the .223 isn't a favorite of mine; them itty-bitty bullets are hard for my fat fingers to hold onto (I drop almost as many as I stuff)...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't mind loading .223 but I never bought a mold so I don't make the tiny bullets. I use JBs for .223.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

For 223, I usually use Berry's. They look just like Hornady's 223. BL(C)-2 powder started off with CCI 450 primers for the AR. The Savage gets 40gr V-Max and 52gr HP (Speer) over Varget with CCI 400s.
I say usually because I shoot the AR way more than the Savage.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought Hornady 55 gr FMJ and FMJHP in bulk with no retail packaging for well under $0.10 each.....enough to last a LONG time. I also have some 52 gr ballistic tip repackaged by Midway for very cheap I got for .222REM but can be used for .223 (plus the .222 needs head-spaced and I haven't found the tools locally).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:With the proliferation of the 303 British cartridge in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom alone, I'm surprised a sporting rifle for the average rifleman was not developed. Basically there are the Lee Enfield variations and the limited numbers of the Ruger #1.

The 375 Ruger looks like it would be brutal to shoot.
Don't forget the P14. Nice rifle and much tighter and accurate than the LE's. It was a popular sniper rifle and easier to sportize than the LE

Return to “Rifle Reloading”