What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Those 264 WMs look like missiles!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yesterday, I loaded more cartridges for my Timber Scout 30-30 Win. I started with H322 late last week which is not a common powder for the 30-30, but it performed very well with the QuickLoad predictions which were very accurate (at least the velocity). Usually, BL-C(2), W748, or Varget are my go-to powders for the 30-30; so, I loaded a short increment of Varget to use with this rifle just to see how it does with the knowns.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Asthetically I'm not impressed . It does surpass every 30 and 7mm I have on hand as far as speed/energy go . I'm running it "detuned" at hhooott 6.5-55 levels . 12gr of Unique is nice under the 120 papered bullet . H1000 data says the 140gr Win Power Point is poking along at 2800 fps but could be readily run up to 3000-3100 . I suspect the old bullet of going RN in the bbl but it works well so we run with it .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

A small batch of 357 mag, CCI 550, 18gr of 300-MP topped with a Speer 158gr HP (4732). For pistols, I usually only go up to 16½ grains. That 300-MP is a fun powder.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I got some 300-MP I need to try.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I loaded up a few 30-30 rounds with 150 gr Rem Core-lokt over 36.8 gr of LVR Saturday. My grandson and I decided to play hookie from work yesterday and make a trip to the range to run them through my old 336 and they shot well, although I didn't take the chrony. He had one 3 shot group (100 yards) that was 0.8" at 1 inch above POA.

On another note, although it may be a better question for another sub-forum, my brass is pretty inconsistent in length. "Normal" 30-30 Win brass spec trim length should be 2.028-2.029 from data I have on hand, The 20 I sorted out for loading were a mix of Remington and Winchester brass (no Hornady "shorties"). Last night I decided to process and trim the brass to put it away for next loading session and decided to get the electronic micrometer out ..... half of the brass measured 2.020, +/- 0.002. My first inclination was to think the Lee trim stud wasn't to spec as I thought the brass had all been trimmed a year or so ago, but I ran them all through the trimmer again to see if the length would normalize to around 2.020 for the batch .... I still ended up not touching the mouth on the short ones and trimming about half to around 2.028. Apparently the trim stud isn't the problem so I must have a lot of brass on the short side. I'm sure I'll have to start paying closer attention to detail measuring and sorting the brass if for no other reason than for seating and crimping accuracy, but now I'm wondering if the */- 0.08 shortage of case neck could cause a pressure problem in my "less than maximum" load level?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

mr surveyor wrote:<trim< but now I'm wondering if the */- 0.08 shortage of case neck could cause a pressure problem in my "less than maximum" load level?

jd
jd, I doubt you'll have a problem with your less than max loads as 8 hundreds should be that much difference in case volume. I don't own Quick Load but I'd bet it would tell you.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I chose five of same lot at 2.03" for my first .30-30 test loads because it was the most common length and my Lee stud hadn't arrived yet. I plan on neck sizing and trimming to stud length the remainder of the two headstamps I shot. I might look for some LVR and/or Varget.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

After having noticed the case lengths varied as much as they had, I wish I had known before and kept them segregated into 3-4 thousandth separated batches. No doubt it changed the crimp quality as well as a possibly minor variation in pressures. Probably the reason for some of the group spreads. In two of the 3 shot strings I had 2 of the three bullet holes cutting and the third nearly 2 inches away.

I need to buy a couple hundred top quality new cases and properly prep them for consistent loads. Sure would be nice if Starline offered 30-30 brass now.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Powder coated a bunch of TL314-90-SWC blue for my cat sneeze loads in 308. 3.5 grains of TiteGroup works just fine but I might bump it up some just to be able to feel the recoil, 4 grains should do just fine but need to test.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Reloading”