What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Did a bit of work with the Savage 11 chambered in 308 Win. Started by pulling a dozen cast bullet rounds which had been loaded with a Collet die for my Sav 10FCM Scout using a custom Mandrell for the .310" bullet. Once pulled, I resized them with a full length die using a standard .307" Ex-Z-Pander without the primer decapper. Loaded them with increments of Varget up to the max load of 44.0-grains using the Speer 180-grain HCSP. I'm going to stop using my 308 Win (2) and 300 Sav (1) as cast bullet rifles and go back to max pressure loads with jacketed bullets. Why? You end up mirroring 30-30 Win performance and if you throw in the 7.62x39, I have enough of them already.

I was going to sell the Sav 11 but decided to shoot it a bit as the gun market is pretty depressed right now. Another scout shooter and I both bought unbranded Chinese 2x20 extended eye relief scopes and I decided to get to it and see if how they fair with a series of shooting. Once I get the rifle sighted in, I plan on shooting a five bullseye target, shooting each corner bullseye by adjusting windage and elevation only while maintaining the POA at the center. Three shots after each adjustment and then adjusting down or across to the next corner bullseye. The shooting will be about seeing if the recoil and constant turret adjustments promote failure and I will probably shoot about 100 rounds.

The scope has super clear lenses, ¼" MOA turrets, weighs in at 7½ ounces and was $25. It took four weeks to travel from China. The product guide includes info on their different models offered and if this works out I might try at least one other model. If it doesn't, I'm out 25 bucks. Don't have a clue what the Company name is as they are unbranded so that the importer can put their name on them.

I was going to start the shooting this afternoon but instead, I think I will continue down the range out into the pasture and spend the afternoon in a tower blind. It is a very pretty day today and I will get to the shooting tomorrow.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Aha! Stealing my thunder, huh? My recent $189 retail Cabela's Chinese scope was $49 or shipped. No result yet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

The last scout scope I bought was an NC Star 2-7x32. Have about 100 rounds shot under it in my M96 Swde without any issues. Cost me C$65.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Nothing wrong with putting on a jacket every once in a while. :lol: I use varget with a 180 grain jacketed sierra match king. I don't remember my load specifics I would have to in bury them as I haven't used them in a long while sadly.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Six shots from the Sav 11 Scout and both elevation and windage were toast. About four bucks a shot :o

A bit less than 18 ft/lbs of recoil energy. POI started drifting off POA, and I could not get the scope to respond. Shot #7 was off the target board so I sent a 180-grain bullet downrange at 2590 FPS, destination unknown which is not good.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote: About four bucks a shot :o

Ouch !!! That is 50 BMG territory.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote: About four bucks a shot :o

Ouch !!! That is 50 BMG territory.
If you throw in the cost of the reloaded ammo, its $4.65 a shot!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

SCOPE FAIL
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Worked out a trade with a fellow today, this 11 Scout for a Savage 99 chambered in 308 Win. I already have the 10FCM which is more of a hunting rifle rather than the tactical look (and weight) of the 11, and being a hunter I would always choose it as I headed to the back over the 11. I will post some pics of the 99 this weekend.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:Worked out a trade with a fellow today, this 11 Scout for a Savage 99 chambered in 308 Win. I already have the 10FCM which is more of a hunting rifle rather than the tactical look (and weight) of the 11, and being a hunter I would always choose it as I headed to the back over the 11. I will post some pics of the 99 this weekend.
Savage 99, gotta be one of the finest firearms every made. I take mine out to re-oil every month and I just love working the action. I once did a series of photos for another forum showing how it works. A mechanical jewel to be sure. Mine is also in 308 Win. A 99F, it has a 1.5-4x 20 Bushnell scope that was made by Bausch and Lomb in the 50's. It is every bit as fine quality as my Nikon Monarch scope of the same type.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”