What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Macd »

Have used H414 in the Russian 7.62x54 with fair success. Hornady 174 grain RN .312 bullets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

When I shot that buck with my Winchester Timber Scout, it left me with two rounds of 44 Mag ammo. I had 31 cases left in the current lot before they go back through polishing and annealing, so I loaded them up yesterday morning with H110. Inserted the labeled drum into the Auto Drum, tested it, and it was off to the races. Over before I knew it.
M94TS44_reloading_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

SS wet tumbled a mix of 308 Win & 35-30 cases using zip wax. Once they dried ran them all through the primer pocket uniformer. Next, annealed them all. They are in the dryer again.

While doing this I tried a collet sized 308 case in the Savage 99, it cycled fine so I will use that instead of the full-length sizer.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yesterday I made up ten .30-30 for a friend to kill a deer with in his Marlin 336.

Trimmed to Lee length
Deburr and chamfer
S&B LRP
26.4 gr IMR4198. I actually used a Lee dipper for this (129).
Sierra #2000 150gr Power Jacket flat nose
2.552" OAL

Seems a little hot compared to some of my books. Hmmm.....maybe I should trade him a handful of my 175-ish cast GC'd over 10gr Unique to be safe AND so my own bullet could do the deed.

+corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Yesterday I made up ten .30-30 for a friend to kill a deer with in his Marlin 336.

Trimmed to Lee length
Deburr and chamfer
S&B LRP
26.4 gr IMR4198. I actually used a Lee dipper for this (129).
Sierra #2000 150gr Power Jacket flat nose
2.552" OAL

Seems a little hot compared to some of my books...
I ran it through QuickLoad and it looks very safe to me. 2144 FPS & 38.5K PSI @ 70°.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks. I "felt" like it would be OK after some reading but is as much as 3gr over some newer books.

How much pressure will a 10-15 year old 336 take as a rough estimate?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Thanks. I "felt" like it would be OK after some reading but is as much as 3gr over some newer books.

How much pressure will a 10-15 year old 336 take as a rough estimate?
I load mine to 42.0K
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sweet
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Loaded more 35-30 ammo yesterday. Need the weather to stop dropping the cold rain so I can shoot.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

So today I loaded 20 Missouri Bullets 167 grain lead coated .3115 bullets in .303 British with CFE 223 and S&B primers. I finally got to the range to test my first batch and they did not shoot well at all. Not sure if it is because my 2 groove barrel is so deep (right at .314 from my measurements) but the 185 grain FMJ Russian pulled bullets I loaded shot much better during the same range trip. I loaded 20 more of the Russian pulled 185 grains with CFE 223 today too and upped the charge a little. I am hoping to get a little more accuracy.

The lead bullets list a BHN of 20 and I think I just loaded them too low to get the velocity needed to obturate. They were all over the map and not on the target - even at 50 yards. Factory ammo and my other reloads did fine. The FMJ groups were acceptable to me for the first time hand loads especially since I pulled the bullets from lacquer coated steel case Brown bear that makes my Mosin bolts stick. They were all on target at 50 yards and about a 4 inch group (not good I know, but they were my FIRST rifle hand loads and I am happy they all hit the target). I just wanted to get on paper and also adjusted the front sight (with my home made tool) using factory ammo while I was there.

I am not crimping the lead at all this time either, last time I had a very light crimp with Lee Factory crimp die. Still gave the FMJs a light crimp. The lead charge was upped quite a bit because I am convinced I loaded them way too low. No idea when I will get to test them. Snowing here again and last range trip was between 19 and 20 Fahrenheit and more like 5 to 8 with wind chill. The cold may have effected velocity too but I think I just need to keep working on my loads and technique.

I also need to get better with the rifle which is starting to happen. FREEZING weather does not help me shoot better either. It hits where you aim at 100 yards if you do your part so I am happy with that. The lead bullets may never work but I am going to keep trying. Eventually I will get a different powder too. I like the CFE pistol for my pistol loads and the listed loads from Hodgdon for CFE 223 matched my planned .303 and 7.62x 54R reloading and it was available. I wanted to get Varget too but they were out, so I took the powder I could get. I can say one thing, it burns very clean and cleans out very easy.

I have some Speer 180 grain .311 hot core bullets coming in the mail next week and will load a batch of those too. Then if the weather cooperates I will make some more empty cases, so I can refill them again.

Thanks for listening.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”