annealing questions from a novice

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: annealing questions from a novice

Post by Old Scribe »

62chevy wrote:Thanks RD never thought about the 4 seconds or the 2.5 inches I just looked for the change in color.
Yup, me too. Another improvement to my reloading processes. Thanks.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

You're welcome guys...

Here are the notes I included on Youtube but they are not presented with the video embed...

Case annealing using a propane torch and Lee trimmer stud on a cordless drill.

The setup uses a wire 2½" wire so that the cases, one to the next, maintain a consistent distance from the torch nozzle for a consistent heat across individual cases. Spinning the case with the Lee Case Trimmer stud allows for an even heating of the neck on all sides.

A four second burn with the case 2½" from the nozzle melts the 750° templaque just inside the case neck, you will see the paint flare up, but not melt the 350° templaque at the base of the above the case's web.

The video is a real redneck unscripted setup with a set of pliers in a vise holding my phone, I apologize for the that but I wanted to post this for a fellow to show how to achieve consistent, case to case, annealing with as little setup as possible. Using the simple wire guide, adjust the flame as I described and also use the wire to keep the case at a consistent distance from the nozzle.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Some real good stuff you demonstrate, Michael - mucho thanks!!

I think I gave the "thanks" button a couple of punches on this thread....LOL I shouldn't a mentioned my birthday!!! :lol:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”