Loaded Case Checker's

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Loaded Case Checker's

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Any body here using one or more of these?

I looked at Lee's site and didn't hit any with a couple different searches so guessing they don't do one. I'm looking at the Lyman offering and wonder if any of you have any experience with them. If they work thy appeal on price as you can multi cartridge for around $33. A set of individuals for the cartridge I reload would cost a great deal more.

TIA, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Loaded Case Checker's

Post by GasGuzzler »

Post a link....
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

For handguns I use use the barrel or the cylinder. For rifle a dummy round is used. Other than that I do have several Wilson and a couple of Lyman case gauges.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:Post a link....
Hopefully this is the link to the page on the Lyman sight.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case ... hecker.php

I picked the small rifle up at Cabelas last night.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use the gun for that. I have Rugers, Rossi's, Mossbergs, and Marlins so I'm not sure they're a exact as the tool.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, I'm with you on some of my pistol rounds. I use the cylinders from my convertible BH's for 9mm, 357, 45ACP and 45 Colt. The 45 Colt is the only one I currently have in both rifle and pistol. There are the occasional 45 ACP or 9mm round that fit the cylinder okay but are either too long to chamber in the auto loaders or the wrong AOL to work through the action. Usually happens during load work up with a new bullet.

Working on 223 right now and it's a pita to do the "plunk" test in the AR. I've got 2 FL sizers, a lee and a Hornady New Dimension and both generate an annoying number of incomplete lock ups. Right now considering a small base as I'm willing to sacrifice some case like for reliability.

Make smoke,
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Working on 223 right now and it's a pita to do the "plunk" test in the AR. I've got 2 FL sizers, a lee and a Hornady New Dimension and both generate an annoying number of incomplete lock ups. Right now considering a small base as I'm willing to sacrifice some case like for reliability.

Make smoke,
I had problems in a Howa 223 with case heads causing rounds to sieze in the chamber. What I did to get the case heads back to the proper size follows.

1: RCBS .357 mag carbide sizing die. Drilled out to 1/2" the end where the decapping pin screws in.

2: Used the Lee post sizing tool in the press to shove the .223 cases through the carbide ring of the RCBS die.

I don't remember the finished size of the .223 head but I do remember the cases were within .001" of what new Federal .223 cases measured. Now all my FL sized .223 cases will fit in all 3 223s I have left. (makes me think more about Henry's new lever action 223. three is not enough 223s.)

Return to “Rifle Reloading”