My 1st 223 rounds !

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
brucer417
My Press Choice: Turret

My 1st 223 rounds !

Post by brucer417 »

IMG_0512.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My 1st 223 rounds !

Post by daboone »

Nice and done on the Lee Turret. I couldn't see what PM you're using. How are they shooting? Did you have a previously work up load?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
brucer417

Post by brucer417 »

Well, I kind of cheated and used the Turret as a single stage press ( removed the rod )... I used the Lee Auto Drum powder measure for these - it was also the 1st time using it. I had been using the Auto Disk setup for all my pistol reloading ( 380, 9mm, 40 and 45ACP ) . The drum is easy to set up and the drops were very consistent. For these I was using 26.2g of CFE223 with a 55gSP bullet and a COAL of 2.200 . I'm shooting them out of a Ruger Mini 14 - I didn't chrono them - just wanted to make sure they would cycle and fire ... I'm happy so far !
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Is CFE223 a ball or stick/extruded powder? I'm not familiar with it. I've been loading the 223R with either H or IMR4895 for my son's rifles. That's because I use it for several of my own rifles. So I've not experimented with some of the newer powders.

The Auto Drum works very well with all the powders I regularly keep on hand except IMR 3450. I'm so ugly old that I just stick with the tried and true powder I grew up using.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
brucer417

Post by brucer417 »

It's a spherical (ball) powder from Hogdon. The CFE stands for " Copper Fouling Eraser " , they also make a '
"CFE " for pistol loads as well.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

daboone, is that IMR4350?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Yep I use which ever one is available, IMR4895 or H4895. Either is a very versatile powder for 30 caliber rifle especially so for cast bullets. It's also a powder that has amazing capability for reduced loads.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”