Case Lube?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
papajoe222
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Case Lube?

Post by papajoe222 »

When using Lee Resizing Lubricant, Is it recommended to clean the cases after resizing?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Case Lube?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

When I started back in '67 it was one of the absolute rules to clean the lube off. Said to allow greater set back on firing, but then it was also said to absolutely not clean by tumble or buzz bucket load ammo. I use Imperial Sizing Wax and after I complete loading I give the round a quick trip in the buzz bucket with plain corn cob. I don't want the lube picking up dirt. Which I think is the best reason to clean the lube off. YMMV

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I don't bother with Lee resizing lube. I mix it with Isopropyl alcohol to help it dry faster and thin it out thus saving money. It mixes better with cheap 70% that higher percentage isopropyl. Someone right here on Lee Loader taught me that.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Plus one above. Imperial works well but is slow and folds cases if you use too much. Tumbling loaded ammo has never scared me but I don't do it either because I've found no need. Alky mixed Lee works after the initial BS of finding all the equipment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
papajoe222

Post by papajoe222 »

daboone wrote:I don't bother with Lee resizing lube. I mix it with Isopropyl alcohol to help it dry faster and thin it out thus saving money. It mixes better with cheap 70% that higher percentage isopropyl. Someone right here on Lee Loader taught me that.
What % if alcohol>lube is a good mix? I'd much rather lube using a pad than applying it with my fingers. Seems it would be easier to clean afterwords also.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

The 45 colt I fire in my Henry are lubed with Hornady One-Shot lube. Instead of getting sticky hands after firing 100 rounds I soak the loaded cartridges in hot soapy water for a half hour when I get them. Rinse and dry, never had a FTF after shooting 1,000+ rounds treated this way.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

papajoe222 wrote: What % if alcohol>lube is a good mix? I'd much rather lube using a pad than applying it with my fingers. Seems it would be easier to clean afterwords also.
Ok I just checked my notes. We discussed mixing Lee Case Sizing Lube awhile back on this forum. I was having a problem getting it to mix.

Now I mix it in a recycled 16 fl oz spray bottle. The mix is about 1/2 tube of Lee and fill the bottle about 3/4 with cheap 70% isopropyl alcohol and top off the bottle with tap water. I don't think the proportions are all that important. But this Lee Case Sizing Lube does require some H2O to mix. Isopropyl alone just makes it clot up till mixed with some water. The alcohol seriously improves drying time.

I don't use a pad or fingers with this spray mix. I use a Goodwill recycled cookie baking sheet or a plastic bag. I just spray 2 to 4 squirts and tilt the pan back and forth or shake the bag till the cases are coated.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
bayou

Post by bayou »

I typically use Hornady Unique case lube for rifle cases. Just a simple wipe with a paper towel is all it takes to remove any excess...
bayou
NRA Life Member
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

I lube with the Lee stuff then resize and then with a drill adapter, I trim, chamfer, brush inside the neck and then wipe the case with a cotton rag all while the drill is spinning. All the lube is wiped clean off
:D :D
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

One thing with the spray lubes. After application the cases need to be allowed to dry before you start sizing. I've used Hornady's and Dillon's both work okay with my 650.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Rifle Reloading”