.30-30 reloading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

.30-30 reloading

Post by Poppop »

Hi Guys.
Went to the range today with my Marlin 336 30-30.
Next to last round, which actually became the last round, came apart while firing.
The bullet went down range but the case split around the shoulder. Rifle ejected the head and the balance of the cart. remained in the barrel. I was able to remove it at home.
Question is how many times can a rifle cartridge be reloaded? The ones I have are about 5X
Thanks
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: .30-30 reloading

Post by Dan 444 »

For my 336C 30-30, I've reloaded RP cases 10X+. Bullets are cast (RD) & jacketed 165g & 170g, respectively, pushed by a maximum (published) charge of H4895. I full length size cases with every loading and anneal necks after 4-5 loadings.

Dan
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by buckeye43210 »

Poppop wrote:Hi Guys.
Went to the range today with my Marlin 336 30-30.
Next to last round, which actually became the last round, came apart while firing.
The bullet went down range but the case split around the shoulder. Rifle ejected the head and the balance of the cart. remained in the barrel. I was able to remove it at home.
Question is how many times can a rifle cartridge be reloaded? The ones I have are about 5X
Thanks
Do you anneal your brass?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I wont anneal brass so if the old 336 I just bought requires it, I know where you can buy a sweet .30WCF set up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I have over 10 cycles on some 06' and 7-8 on some 308 .
I have some 9mm that all but has the headstamp nearly gone and some 45 Colts north of 20x .
As for 30-30 I don't know yet . I only have about 50-60 rounds through it in 1x .
I don't run full tilt in anything except 45 Colts which for hunting loads are Ruger start loads .
Cast lets me get all I'm going to get under 40kpsi and generally under 35 . So my results may not be of much help .

I anneal every 3-5 cycles for the high pressure stuff and every 15 for the expensive pistol brass . 9mm and 38s are just run it till it blows brass .

In review I have some converted 32 Rem from 30-30 that have probably 20 cycles on them I annealed them after the 3rd firing before sizing and then only as much as absolutely necessary .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I wont anneal brass so if the old 336 I just bought requires it, I know where you can buy a sweet .30WCF set up.
Just buy brass when you need it. New 30-30 brass will run you about 42¢/ea, so five reloads has it down to 8¢/ea. It is hard to justify the time to anneal it or the purchase of any annealer to run it any longer. Even the purchase of a Collet Die to avoid the hardening issue altogether is tough to justify. Those of us that do any of the previous just enjoy it.

For some of my brass, it is required to maximize its life; 300 Sav, 32 Win Spl, & 35 Rem are some examples. You never know when you will be handling the last piece of brass left in this world.

Somewhere on this forum, I started a topic where I was going only resize a given lot of 30-30 Win brass with a Collet die to see how long it would run. If I got to a point that I would need to full-length size to fit, I would anneal it first. This is where I started going to the custom EZ X Expanders and Collet Mandrels to minimize the sizing of the neck and then expanding it for a cast bullet. The brass has cycled into the teens with no problems. I think, without looking at the card I keep with the brass, I've only resized it with the Pacesetter Die (full-length) once.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have Redding full length and neck sizers as well as the .310-.314 NOE expander you sent. 311165 RD mold in its way.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

It's just possible you're "over-sizing" the brass, pushing the shoulder back just a teens y bit and lever guns being what they are the brass is stretching on firing and you get early separations. I don't own a 30/30 but I've had the problem with the 6.5-06, a 270 and a 22-250. Careful adjustment of the sizing die on once fired cases fixed the problem. Still don't get the best life out of the 22/250 but the rifle is a Rem 788 and that's another story all by itself.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

I don't anneal brass.
I think I'm going to take the advise of RD and buy new brass in 50pc bags as needed. I only shoot 20 rds per outing.
I don't know about the stretching. After lubing and sizing I trim and very very little is taken off.
I think the age of the brass also is a concern. Half are about 50 yrs old and some other half only 10 yrs old.
Good part is that it didn't hurt the rifle.
Thanks for you help all
MAGA
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

Put new battery in calculator. 300 reloads divided by 30 cases = 10 reloads per case. I guess something was going to happen soon. :D
MAGA

Return to “Rifle Reloading”