.454 Casull bullet in .45 Colt case

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

.454 Casull bullet in .45 Colt case

Post by 9x80Drilling »

I'm pondering the wisdom of the following:
I have a box of Barnes 250 gr. XPB bullets intended for the .454 Casull. I have no Casull, only a Rossi M92 in .45 Colt. I'd like to safely try the XPBs in the Rossi.

I typically load Hornady 250 gr. XTPs over 24.5 grs. of LilGun. As the Barnes bullet is much longer than the Hornady, and if loaded deep in the case so that a crimp would fall in the crimp groove, I'd have to reduce the LilGun load to 21 or 22 grs. so as not to compress the powder. This powder volume in the .45 Colt case yields a small bit of space between the base of the bullet and the top of the powder charge.

I loaded several dummy rounds with the XPBs crimped into the cases at the groove. The dummies cycled fine through my Rossi.

Anyone have any educated guesses on the results of firing the 250 gr. XPB combined with the 21 or 21.5 gr. LilGun load in my tough 92 carbine? Perhaps I could try a different powder?

Thanks for your consideration.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: .454 Casull bullet in .45 Colt case

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've never loaded any of the Barnes line, but I would guess that the added length and toughness is going to increase barrel to bullet friction and raise pressure. How much is a guess at this point. Have you tried the Barnes web site?

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Thanks Curt. Yes, I agree with you on the potential pressure rise. I'd like to proceed with caution.

Barnes lists loading for their 2 XPBs that are intended for the .45 Colt, a 200gr. and a 225 gr. I accidentally grabbed a box of the 250s without noticing they are intended for the Casull. Instead of simply giving them away (or buying a Casull!), I'd like to send them safely down the barrel.

I have experimented with .308, .323, .358, and .366 Barnes X bullets in three drillings and an insert in a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label with various degrees of success. The 8x57jrs and 9.3x74r loadings have been accurate, and effective on quite a pile of elk, whitetails, muleys, and antelope. The 9x80r and .30-30 loadings have not come up to my acceptable accuracy standards at this time, so I haven't fired them at game.

I haven't used published data for any of those loads; I've reduced the powder charges from successful gilding metal bullet loads as starting points. So, at this point I'd say I'm simply looking for a starting load for those overweight 250s.

Another direction I might take is to clamp the 250s in a mill and take 25 grs. off each before I load them. That amounts to alot of fiddling!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Not sure if this helps but Load Data has a listing for the Barnes 250 using H110. They are from a Handloader from 2006 and there is a caution that they approach 30k psi. Tested in a Ruger new model Bisley.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Thanks O3W. I'll check Load Data and think that listed over over.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

It's one of those loads without much room to play as there's only a grain difference min to max, but it's also around the vicinity of my loads for 300 grain cast and also Hornady's 300 grain XTP (non-mag). I know one of the guys on the Rossi list has been experimenting with the magnum version in his 45 Colt '92.

Make smoke,

Return to “Rifle Reloading”