Trail Boss ~ Min, Max, but what about Inbetween??

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Trail Boss ~ Min, Max, but what about Inbetween??

Post by Macd »

THIS APPLIES TO TRAIL BOSS POWDER ONLY.

I decided to try TB in my 8mm Mauser with cast bullets. After reading about the powder and learning a full and uncompressed load of TB is still well below pressure maximum for this calibre I decided to take a different approach to working up a load. Allowing for the seating depth of the Lee 175 grain bullet I loaded up a case to this level. The powder weighed 16.4 grains. This is the maximum load. I rounded it down to 16.0 to allow for seating and case capacity variation. Hodgdon suggests starting at 70% of maximum weight which works out to about 11.5 grains. I rounded this up to 12.0. Now conventional practice is to start at the lower weight and work up looking for pressure signs. This is absolutely the only way to proceed for other powders but TB at max is still well within SAAMI pressures for the 8mm Mauser. These limits are very conservative to begin with due to the existence of earlier "J" type rifles. So I decided to load up five at 16.0 and five at 12.0 and then see which gives the best results and then work down or up respectively from there. I should mention that I have been using TB in 45 Colt and it has been a great alternative to the small charges of fast powders, that I have used in the past, which are barely visible in the bottom of the case.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Trail Boss ~ Min, Max, but what about Inbetween??

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I do believe you're on the right track. I've been wanting to try TB in my 8mm Mauser also but other projects keep interfering. Definitely like it for plinking loads in the 45 Colt and the 40-65 WCF and 45-70 Guv.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've not found a use for it. I'm open minded, even regarding Satan-powder (Unique).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Call me dangerous, but from experience of use, I use it at 100% case capacity. Both QuickLoad and my reloading software, TMT's Precision Load Records will calculate the 100% charge based on my lot of brass and bullets.

The only problem I've had with Trail Boss is bridging when using a drop dispenser. Same with 20 something caliber cartridge necks. The oatmeal like powder doesn't want to drop down the case neck. I feel its forte is large straight walled cartridges, they are very simple from an ease of reloading aspect.

I had used it in my 218 Bee to mirror a 22 Long Rifle, don't have any rimfire firearms anymore. It has been successful in that role, but the loading is time-consuming because of the powder drop. "Time-consuming" to me is an opportunity for error.

For the Bee, I'm getting ready to try a very low charge (3-grains) of Clay's, another powder I have that I've never found a need for, topped to 100% capacity with BPI Original Design Buffer to keep the powder against the primer. I have yet to ensure that the BPI product will drop through the Safety Disk to my satisfaction. It should as it is just microscopic synthetic balls.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have google access so I could look it up but RD's post makes me wonder if anyone has made a 25ACP rifle.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I run across an outfit that made barrel sleeves for single shots. I would need to ponder as to where. I know a fellow that has a 10" barrelled revolver chambered in 25 Auto.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Made it to range today. Think I am getting closer. This rifle when I started with commercial jacketed bullets wouldn't hold 5 shots on a 24 inch piece of paper. It will never be a cloverleaf maker but I believe it can do better. The consistency of the powder (FPS) is really good. With 12 grains high 1294 and low 1288. The other three were 1290 twice and another 1288. With 16 grains high 1535 and low 1523 with the other three 1534 twice and one at 1530. Shot at 50 yards with iron sights and old eyes Think sights need attention, eyes are what they are lol.

8mm Trail Boss.png
Just for comparison. Here is my best load in a 1905 Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser. Again a 50 yard shoot and yes 5 shots. This time with a long eye relief 2-7x scope.
HV100 6.5x55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd like to know what 11 and 14 do....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'd like to know what 11 and 14 do....
Going to do 13-15 next. 12 gave me a bit of soot on necks and along case. I think a lot of the group size is due to my inability to focus on the front sight. I am going to try a different target next time. If that works my next step is to put a reflex or red dot on to help me get a more consistent POA.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have google access so I could look it up but RD's post makes me wonder if anyone has made a 25ACP rifle.
I've searched about 250 combinations looking for one on the www . As close as I come is a fellow on cast boolits that is working a 25 ACP mag in what was a single 6 Ruger .

I'd love to try one on a single shot . The head rim and operating limits of standard loads are very close to 22 mag . A master gunsmith friend suggested a 22 LR with full locking lugs (594 Rem ?) for the base .
I gave up on it and went with 22 mag class in 222 and 223 .

TB was originally designed for a smokeless no compression BP replacement for cowboy action and the like .
It has a very steep pressure curve to 16-20,000 psi but is all spent in 6-8" barrel . A lot like BP .
Like many others it excels in a couple of cartridge types , in this instance straight and tapered cases with minimal neck steps . Basically everything with a BP heritage .

Compression makes it spikey , too much space and it gets spikey , too much body to neck constriction it gets spikey probably from shock wave rebounds on the shoulder . Basically a fun plinker in a 30-30 or 32 WS is at the ragged edge unstable in the Rem sisters and just bad news in a 7-30 Waters . Meanwhile a 25 gr BP volume scoop is good to go in 45 Colts as is a 60 gr BP volume scoop in 45-70-500 . Something about chamber expansion .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”