Trail Boss ~ Min, Max, but what about Inbetween??

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Trail Boss ~ Min, Max, but what about Inbetween??

Post by Macd »

Although Trail Boss was originally meant for lead bullets in pistols it has become a popular powder for cast bullets in many rifle calibers. Here is the IMR information.

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upload ... ds-r_p.pdf

Given my experience in the Mauser I will be trying it in 30-06 and 308 next as soon as I finish my Mauser project.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

TrailBoss has been my favorite powder for a few years, but became harder and harder to get my hands on lately. During the last three years I only managed to buy it twice, and emptied the shelves each time.

Because of our EU-chemical substance regulations, nearly all US powders will disappear from our stores next year :(
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Because of our EU-chemical substance regulations, nearly all US powders will disappear from our stores next year :(
Oh man!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Fyodor wrote:TrailBoss has been my favorite powder for a few years, but became harder and harder to get my hands on lately. During the last three years I only managed to buy it twice, and emptied the shelves each time.

Because of our EU-chemical substance regulations, nearly all US powders will disappear from our stores next year :(

Is the Tin Star powder sold by http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/powders/tin-star.html a possible replacement? I have never tried it but from what I have read it is a bit faster than TB but cleaner burning and better metering. It looks expensive but it comes in a 1.1 pound can (.5kg). TB is a 9 ounce one and when I did the math Tin Star and TB came out about the same allowing for slightly heavier loads with Tin Star.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tin Star doesn't provide anywhere near the case fill that Trail Boss does and because of that, you need published data to follow.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:Tin Star doesn't provide anywhere near the case fill that Trail Boss does and because of that, you need published data to follow.
Vihtavuori list loads for 5 handgun calibres. I have seen reports of it being used in the 30-30 but I strongly support sticking to published loads from a trusted source. I find having all my fingers useful :D
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Macd wrote:Vihtavuori list loads for 5 handgun calibres.
Yes, including traditional wild west cartridges like .44 Magnum, but not these modern day stuff like .44-40. :?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Fyodor wrote:
Macd wrote:Vihtavuori list loads for 5 handgun calibres.
Yes, including traditional wild west cartridges like .44 Magnum, but not these modern day stuff like .44-40. :?
LOL I didn't notice that. Kinda misnamed powder then. Must be someone loading for the 44-40 (44 WCF) using that powder.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Got to the range today and tried out 13-15 grains of TB. Best group at 50 yards over iron sights. (I can hardly see the darn target lol) was 14 grains - Average FPS 1419. Remember this was a rifle that wouldn't hit the same target twice. Five shots at 50 yards. One inch squares.
23845146_10154930563907073_752298410_n.jpg
This rifle has a history that intrigues me. I bought it off a friend who got it from the son of a WW2 veteran who was in the Canadian army during the liberation of Holland. The son said his father found it in a burned out German Opel truck. He brought it back to Canada and had a local guy sporterize it. Not a great job but not as bad as others I have seen. It has all matching numbers and was made in BRNO in June of 1944. It is too modded to return to full military yet I can almost see the soldier that carried it. Perhaps he died in that truck or was wounded or captured. Regardless, I am holding a piece of history every time I raise it to my shoulder. I know I can get it to shoot better and am determined to bring out its best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shooting looks good, any chance of getting a picture of the rifle?
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”