7.62x39 Handloading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 7.62x39 Handloading

Post by GRV01 »

GasGuzzler wrote:It does look like it settled. 150gr is pretty heavy. Is the Mini30 a 1:10 like most 7.62ARs?

Still no answer from the seller on diameter and they're about ten days behind on getting stuff out so I bet I'll be waiting another week. In the mean time I'm looking to over-spend some more by buying an optic set up.
This spec sheet reads yes on the 1:10 RH twist but not sure if thats true of all the models

https://ruger.com/products/miniThirty/s ... /5804.html
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

So......now that the AutoDrum and riser are here I see what I needed was a rifle powder through die not the riser.

Oh well. I'll keep the riser. My AutoDiscs clear the 9mm and .45ACP dies but likely not the .357.

So I have four replacement drums and a RCD on the way for another $30.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:So I have four replacement drums and a RCD on the way for another $30.
Just a few dollars at a time!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:So I have four replacement drums and a RCD on the way for another $30.
Yeah well.......short story.

I browse lots of classifieds sections online and yesterday I saw a guy had a set of four drums for $15 and a RCD for $8 both plus shipping. I thought the drums were a good deal (eBay price is about $24) but wasn't sure I need them. Subconsciously my brain was working on the need for the RCD. When the thought made it to the useful part of my brain I realized I needed the RCD not the riser. So since shipping flat rate was going to be $7.15 regardless, I picked up the drum set too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
Yeah well.......short story.

I browse lots of classifieds sections online and yesterday I saw a guy had a set of four drums for $15 and a RCD for $8 both plus shipping. I thought the drums were a good deal (eBay price is about $24) but wasn't sure I need them. Subconsciously my brain was working on the need for the RCD. When the thought made it to the useful part of my brain I realized I needed the RCD not the riser. So since shipping flat rate was going to be $7.15 regardless, I picked up the drum set too.
Good work!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

eBay used to be a great source for deals but with a move from the individual to the commercialization of the site, not anymore. I miss those days. I don't bother leaving reviews anymore unless I happen upon a deal from an individual.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

AR barrel in 7.62X39 came in yesterday with a boogered up crush washer.

Anyway the maker never responded to my email inquiry about the bore diameter so I took an as cast .30-30 bullet and sized it down to .310". I dropped it into the barrel from the breech. I tried to push it through but it wouldn't budge. Ruined a cleaning rod hammering bullet back out the back from the muzzle end. Rod went all the way through the bullet before it let loose. Bullet measures only .308" right now above the grease grooves with a rod through it. I realize I didn't quite do this properly but what's next?

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You shoot .308" bullets. You got to be careful with what cheap ammo you shoot as you want the jacket to be thick enough that you don't get into the steel core. With your Lee dies, check your EzXpander with a micrometer to see what you have. Lee will send you a .307" EzX. You will not be able to pull it out of your 30-30 Win set as it uses the long EzX and the 7.62x39 uses the short.

It is a too bad they don't cut it to the SAAMI spec. They are using their .308" barrel stock, which they probably order rather than bore. The same stock that they use with the 300 Blackout and 308 Win.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I should have added that if you decide to shoot .310" bullets, you will be okay with jacketed/lead core bullets such as the Speer 2213. It will be a little bit of a bump in pressure, and you should see better velocities than you expected. The barrel will also get hotter. Remington made a .308" 123-grain bullet, but it is not offered anymore. PPU makes a .308" 123 FMJ.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Just as a note , and I'm sure you know gas , slugging is best done with a round ball or egg sinker rather than a bullet .........this as much a reminder to myself as information for future readers ....
Your not the only guy with a bullet stuck in an Arisaka barrel still trying to get it out after months of well that didn't work .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”