7.62x39 Handloading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 7.62x39 Handloading

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:It does look like it settled. 150gr is pretty heavy. Is the Mini30 a 1:10 like most 7.62ARs?

Still no answer from the seller on diameter and they're about ten days behind on getting stuff out so I bet I'll be waiting another week. In the mean time I'm looking to over-spend some more by buying an optic set up.
Yeah, the SAAMI spec of 1:10.

When it comes to a cast bullet, with any cartridge, bullets are typically heavier because of the effort to fill the features of the chamber's throat. More lead up front, more lead is needed in the back. Without adding the lead to the back to balance what was added in the front, the bullet is extremely unstable. A lighter lead bullet, not filling the throat's feature is a failure from the start.

The simple Greenhill stability formula determines a minimum velocity at which stability is lost. It is based on bullet length rather than bullet weight. A typical 123-grain bullet becomes unstable at 692 FPS and the 150-grain cast at 596. I'm more interested in how stable a bullet within its usable velocity range, a factor that my ballistic software evaluates based on a number of parameters. A factor of 1.5 is marginal, 2.5 becomes usable. The 123-grain has a factor of 4.767 and the 150-grain cast, 6.889. The heavier bullet is 31% more stable than, the lighter.

Here are the ballistic tables:

123-grain

TLC313-150-RF
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

The current US production AR barrels appear to be .310 and 1-10" . I don't know about the older stuff with certainty , I have read that many were .312 and 1-8 like the AK/SKS .
That's zero help isn't it .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:The current US production AR barrels appear to be .310 and 1-10".
I'm willing to bet that is what it is
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's 1:10" for sure. Bore I'm not sure about. I haven't checked the AK because I never intended and still don't to use other than Russian steel in it.

If I were to buy that mold I imagine I'd be in a small group that casts lead to load in brass cases to shoot 7.62X39 out of an AR15 style rifle.

I'm glad RD explained the sucky Mini30's, especially after his mini-rant on Ruger. The Mini30 is one of their most common complaints. The bolt and semi-auto pistol and revolver cal rifles are second. Since Ruger failed RD with both categories I can't blame him.

I'm rambling but must mention I handled the new Ruger take down 9mm carbine today and I'm scared I'll buy one.

Anyway, I bought a Burris illuminated reticle 7.62 scope and mount today.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A few more late this afternoon. Ran the press "full auto" other than placing bullets on the cases. Only 11 cases left in the tubes, I was prepared for more. Oh well.

I remain flabbergasted that beveling the primer pockets so dramatically changed the function of my press and eliminated my frustration. The only way I skip a beat is if I let the feeder run out.

Image[hr]I've been meaning to mention something I tried with my Safety Scale. There was a topic about a YouTubers magnetic modification. I have never had a bad oscillation problem but one day a relatively large allen wrench ended up laying near it and I happened to notice how quickly the scale stopped moving. I thought the pan must have contacted the wrench but it didn't. I measured a couple of drops and it just halts. Moved the wrench away it went back to the little wiggle as it settled, so now the wrench stays put with the short, curved end under the pan. It must be the field between two metal parts that does it, without going through that fellow's mods. You can see the wrench in the appropriate spot in the first picture.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

WAIT!

I thought I was the only one that dislikes the LSS because it never stops moving. Now I see there are YT posts so I'm not alone.

Those rounds look nice but I really don't need to spend more on another mold or part for this project but....

I think we posted at the same time again.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:WAIT!

I thought I was the only one that dislikes the LSS because it never stops moving. Now I see there are YT posts, so I'm not alone.
I've had a Safety Scale since they were first offered and never had a problem with mine. I've had a Redding and still have a Lyman, and I don't think mine oscillates any more than these two did/do. I will get a better picture of the pan vs. allen wrench and will also see if the wrench has become magnetized, I doubt it. I will also find that topic and post this and what I find there.
GasGuzzler wrote:Those rounds look nice but I really don't need to spend more on another mold or part for this project but....
Oh, but you will! AR :?: My bullets are less than a penny with a 2¢ gas check. So, round it up to 3¢/bullet. If this works out, I can send six downrange for the cost of one PPU. These rifles are like feeding a large dog! Since the NV project started, I've sent 237 rounds downrange! This is also why I wanted to move it to the Load-Master and use a brass catcher on the range. The cast will save $17 over jacketed for every 100 sent down range. With the steel targets extended down my range, I could shoot 100 rounds in a few minutes just messing around.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm guessing I'll load the brass with jackets to use however and hope the AR will eat steel.

I'm prepping for the future.

I suck at casting from an efficiency standpoint. I'm picky and cull half my drops.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'm prepping for the future.
I've got your name and address so I will leave a note with any stored 7.62x39 ammo I have that it is your's if you will come and get it :idea: If there is none left, I lived longer than I thought and it all went to the cause.
GasGuzzler wrote:I suck at casting from an efficiency standpoint. I'm picky and cull half my drops.
Haah, I was going to say that can be cured by upping your casting game, but I'm one to talk. This lot of the TLC313's suck. That is another reason that I started casting smaller lots; I pay a lot closer attention to technique. I decided to render this lot back to alloy as I'm rejecting too many. I will use the Hot-Pot for this and go ahead and recast them as I go.[hr]
I've had three nighttime range sessions; two with jacketed and one with cast. It is very time-consuming but was well work the education I received rather than share my experience with the hogs. In that the NV cannot be exposed to light, it furthered the experience I've gained from hunting in total darkness, using only ambient light, for 12 years now. The manipulate of both rifle and optics has become natural by feel.

I did all the sighting in at 25 and 50 yards. Getting the POI exactly were the ballistic table said they should be.

From there I moved out to 100 yards on the gong with my improvised, home-made thermal targets which are nothing but 25¢ disposable 1.5"x 2.5" handwarmer. It is a pinpoint target out there in the gloom, but it worked, and it sure beat the $20 one time use commercially available target!

Three solid hits out of three shots on a 6" gong at a hundred and I'm good to go![hr]
Here is the rifle rigged up along with my monoculars.

Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

SWEET! RD has gone tacticool. +corn

This is my busy season with little league ramping up so it might be Memorial Day before I fire a shot with my new build and Independence Day before I get a 7.62 round of my own loaded.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”