SMLE Scout and Cast Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: SMLE Scout and Cast Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:This is great info. I was just looking at molds at Titan reloading yesterday trying to decide which one may work for my 2 groove. Do you know what the BHN of your alloy is on those bullets? Really nice work, thanks for sharing.
My week has ended up being busier than usual, but I wanted to return to your mold question. I hate to start this with a question, but what purpose will your shooting serve; hunting, target, plinking, etc.?

My perspective has always been that as a hunter, hunting specific to my needs, so I'm always pushing the bullet to the alloys pressure and velocity limits unless otherwise limited by the firearm/cartridge limits. For my casting, those limits tend to be 42K PSI and/or 2450 FPS. All the bullets I shoot have a flat meplat of at least 72%, that is what delivers the killing authority. I don't need the bullet be soft so that it "mushrooms". A 1" hole through and through is all the killing I need.

So, enough about me. What do you want your bullets to do?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I did this quickly as I need to go tend to my dogs.

Almost a perfect fit! Crazy, all the drawing I've done and the money spent on custom molds! I need to redraw the brass. Never figured out why the spec drawings were so short of the spec chamber. Probably to ensure that Tommy would not have any problems closing the bolt.

I use the Lee Collet die to size all my fired brass. Both my #4 & #5 chambers are identical despite being made in two different plants.

I will also need to redraw the TLC313-150-RF to reflect the .314" I'm using in the 303 British and offer up drawings for my TLC314-200-RF and the Accurate 31-210H. Here is a link to my design on NOE's website: TLC313-150-RF.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Thanks Ranch Dog. My bullets would be purely for target shooting. I just want to be able to shoot my old gun at the range. No other utility needed. I would like to end up with a mild, accurate load that allows me and my wife and kids (mostly me) to shoot my 75 year old gun a few times a year. I don't need anything with too much velocity or pressure - I want to preserve the gun as much as I can.

I actually go to a meeting Saturday to discuss my pending Gun club application. This time next week I may be a member of the club. I have 180 grain SP hot core bullets I am going to try with Winchester primers and Hybrid 100V soon. But in the future it would be nice to cast my own and have them work for my needs. As you understand, it SOUNDS simple but in reality may not be.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

RD, your rifles' shoulder looks like it edging toward an "improved" cartridge.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:RD, your rifles' shoulder looks like it edging toward an "improved" cartridge.

Make smoke,
That is my experience. Notice the spec chamber cut vs. spec, full length sized brass in the drawing. A Collet Sizing Die is a must for accuracy along with delivering low velocity SD & ES.

My rifles have the same spec cut and either rifle can chamber and shoot the other's Collet sized brass.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Yep. I have neck sized/collet sized my brass and it has been good so far. Only using it in the one .303 for now. I will be hand loading 7.62 X 54R in the future and plan on doing the same (neck sizing) at least until I have a good supply of brass (multiple rifles). I have decided to make one of the Mosin's the 'test rifle' for those hand loads. The Enfield is my first rifle cartridge for reloading/hand loading and I have been pretty happy with the results so far. I just need to keep tinkering until I get a sweet spot. My brass looks good and the next thing I need to figure out is when and how I will anneal the cases. One big experiment going on over here.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:My brass looks good and the next thing I need to figure out is when and how I will anneal the cases. One big experiment going on over here.
What I'm going to do with mine is let it go until the Collet sized case doesn't chamber. That means the first round of any reloading cycle needs to be checked. I'm also keeping the case lot very small in this test, 25 cases, as I want to use what I learn and apply it to the future lots of brass. I'm using PPU.

Once it doesn't fit, I will start over by annealing followed by full-length sizing. I will double check when I go to my room, but I think I'm starting on the fifth cycle of my brass.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”