SMLE Scout and Cast Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

SMLE Scout and Cast Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

Over the weekend, I felt like opening the cast bullet can of worms for this rifle. Despite buying two expensive molds, an Accurate 31-210-H and a Lee custom TLC314-200-RF of my design, but the fit has ended up not being appropriate for my rifle. Did the work to see what cartridge overall length each of the designs offered with at or near ogive contact with the chamber's step, leade or throat and neither is going to work out. Was standing on the bench pondering the need to buy more PPU bullets and there sat a pile of the 7.62x39 TLC313-150-RF bullets that I've been loading for my Ruger Mini-30 :!:

In the cast bullet world, everyone seems to concentrate on sending heavy bullets for any cartridge downrange, but looking at the ogive of this bullet's nose, I just couldn't help but wonder how it would fit.

I checked the diameter of an unsized bullet, and a small sampling yielded a minimum diameter of .3142" :!:

I ran the bullets through a .314" sizing die and then checked the ogive contact with the chambers feature against COAL, and the math said it, with a SAAMI length 303 British case, would align with the crimp groove. I turned to my TMT Precision Records to verify the same, the software calculates several COALs based on the bullet, case, and chamber features, and the stars aligned :!:

Looking at the QuickLoad suggestions, I decided to use Varget. The incremental and evaluation loads shot very well except that it seems my Weaver K4 Scout's windage adjustment has failed. I could not correct windage, at 50-yards it is shooting about 4 ½' left. Need to look at that today to see if the rings are too tight and if that is not the case, getting it heading back to Weaver for a repair. I have a bunch of these scopes and might even have a spare.

It looks like everything will be good at around 2400 FPS. 43.5-grains of Varget is delivering a bit more than that with 44.0-grains not producing any more velocity but keyholing on the target. The barrel is not leading. Look at a couple of factors; I think a sweet spot for accuracy will be between 43.0 and 43.5-grains. Just need to get the POI centered on the target to tell for sure.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: SMLE Scout and Cast Bullets

Post by RBHarter »

Funny how sometimes the ideal candidate is exactly wrong and that random ,or seemingly so, is the perfect answer .
It's been known to happen to me once or twice .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Funny how sometimes the ideal candidate is exactly wrong and that random ,or seemingly so, is the perfect answer .
It's been known to happen to me once or twice .
So true!

I also need to recast these bullets, way too many rejects!

My PPU 180-grain BTSP is running at 2400 FPS so I needed to ponder whether I should just shoot it or the TLC313-150-RF. Cost is not a big issue with this rifle as it will not be a high volume shooter. Still, need a better grip on accuracy to make the call once another scope is one the rifle and with better casting from the mold.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

It's always nice when stuff you have around works on another rifle.

Looks like Varget works well for our Enfields. Did you try it with the 180gr PPU bullets?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Looks like Varget works well for our Enfields. Did you try it with the 180gr PPU bullets?
No, not yet.
Michael
Dan 444

Post by Dan 444 »

Nice looking cartridges!

Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, Dan. Sorry about the short reply klr, was on the tractor all day. It is supposed to rain today and tomorrow, so yesterday was spent turning dirt.

QuickLoad predictions show that H100V is a better choice for the 180-grain bullet and Varget being the best for the 150-grain.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

This is great info. I was just looking at molds at Titan reloading yesterday trying to decide which one may work for my 2 groove. Do you know what the BHN of your alloy is on those bullets? Really nice work, thanks for sharing.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: Sorry about the short reply klr, was on the tractor all day. It is supposed to rain today and tomorrow, so yesterday was spent turning dirt.

QuickLoad predictions show that H100V is a better choice for the 180-grain bullet and Varget being the best for the 150-grain.
No offense taken, RD. I grew up on a tractor and know all about that rain thing - only get off long enough to take a leak. And meals are eaten with one hand on the steering wheel. :)

Anyway, I loaded a few more rounds with a .5 gr higher charge of Varget than I shot last time, but haven't gotten around to shooting them yet.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:This is great info. I was just looking at molds at Titan reloading yesterday trying to decide which one may work for my 2 groove. Do you know what the BHN of your alloy is on those bullets? Really nice work, thanks for sharing.
I'm casting with 60% linotype and 40% wheel weights, water quenched for 21 BHN. I need to cast another batch, I'm going to try and do that tomorrow.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”