SMLE Scout and Jacketed Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: SMLE Scout and Jacketed Bullets

Post by Macd »

I checked my TB results with the 180 lead bullet.
10.5 grains 1147 1146 1146 1143 1147
15.0 grains 1219 1220 1237 1234 Error

At 50 yards the 10.5 load group was 6 inches low from POA and the 15.0 was about 4.5 but scattered.

My Mauser with 15 grains had an average around 1500 fps.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks! Cleaning the lot of brass now for sizing with the Collet die.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Can't believe this project has sat 6 months, but it is up this week. How to finish it through to being sited in for deer hunting.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm really glad I documented all my work here. More information that my notes deliver. Will pick back up with my max Hybrid 100V and Varget loads using the fire-formed, Collet die sized brass. Best one of the two powders win.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

+corn
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:+corn
Finally got to the shooting yesterday. Varget edged out Hybrid 100V; however, the shooting left me with a couple of things that I want to address.

It starts with the difference between a full length sized case and a fired case that has been Collet die sized. I won't get into the differences of the CIP/SAAMI case vs. chamber as we have discussed that difference at length in this topic and others. I will leave it that this is a battle rifle design and there is a lot of space for dirty cartridges.

To the reloader, there is a 2.2 cc difference between the cases; 55.7 ccs with a full length sized case and 57.9 with a fired, Collet sized case (neck sizing). The reloading problem is that this is significant of a change that they must be treated as different cartridges which means that it is almost impossible to move between the two sizing methods with a constant load with performance remaining the same. You start moving out from 100 yards, and things come apart.

In my case, my rifle does not like the Collet sized cases. The problem is with the web of the case; it is a struggle to close the bolt. There is no way it would work in a hunting situation. My rifle does shoot full length sized cases at 1.5 MOA or less but the velocity is below the expectation, probably because of the fireforming that takes place, but this will mean that brass life will be very short with the forming that takes place every cycle. I've got to get that sizing die at shell holder contact to ensure that bolt will swing closed with the little bit of effort it is supposed to.

I'm back to my original idea of a custom full length die from Lee that matches the chamber through a fired case. I'm going to do something about that today and in the meantime will work with full-length sized cases and finish things up.

I've been working with a 3.070" COAL to minimize bullet jump, which doesn't match the cannelure on the PPU bullet. Curiosity has gotten the best of me so I've done the math and put together a dummy cartridge and everything works out at 3.000". I suspect that this is what their factory ammo with this bullet uses, so I'm going to shoot this length with both Hybrid and Varget to see how well it performs.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I spoke with Lee yesterday, they would like me to send them six fired cases and my sizing die. They want to ensure my die is on spec before they proceed with a custom order. I suspect that they don't have hands-on experience with 303 British reloading as the guy I was talking to had a hard time understanding why the shoulder is set back as far as it does. I tried to suggest that there was nothing wrong with their die as it matches the SAAMI cartridge drawing, but there is a lot of space around that cartridge when its seated in a SAAMI chamber. I don't think they understood it. Anyway, they are going to look at it and measure what I need.

The $150 setup fee is brutal for a $25 die so I think that I might go ahead and buy 25 dies to skip the fee. From the reading have done, I'm not the only one that has experienced the difference in a formed vs fired case, along with the loss of performance and accuracy from it. After all, this is some of the why behind switching to the 303 Epps.

They are also scratching their heads as to why I cannot rechamber a shot cartridge, even immediately after extraction. I experience this in the 47 to 49K PSI. Again, their lack of familiarity with the cartridge and firearm. That SMLE action does stretch a bit at the shot, can't get around it. Mine is going to operate at those pressures as anything less the accuracy is poor and performance anemic.

More in a bit, my hound dog wants to go for a walk.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Not jacketed but some good info on the 303B started by Ed Harris is being on the CBA site is found here: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/th ... 3-british/
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Still plugging away and getting closer to what I want to see down range. Here are some updates without many details as I'm running short on time.
  1. After looking at images of the PPU factory ammo I shortened the COAL to where the forward edge of the cannelure meets the mouth of the case. With the two shorter COALs, charges need to be dropped. What I can offer is that MOA does not suffer, it decreases slightly. Heck of a bullet jump, but it works.
  2. Using the Pacesetter Die (full-length sizer), I've moved the die off shell holder contact 1/2 turn (.035"). This is places the die at shoulder contact without resizing it.
  3. The previous statement is influencing some case body sizing that the Collet die could not correct. The once fired, Pacesetter neck sized cases will chamber without effort where the Collet sized cases will not.
  4. I haven't sent anything to Lee, will wait to see how this shooting goes.
  5. To the bench and off to the range.
Reference item #1 above. I think Privi Partizan did their homework with the B125. At the 2.960" COAL and with a spec case length of 2.222", the bullet's forward edge of the cannelure meets the case mouth. The forward edge of the boattail is at the aft edge of the neck, and the base of the bullet does not extend past the shoulder. That's all good stuff for downrange performance.
PPU_B125_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

So for a dummy like me you are saying the only item that doesn't meet your regular spec is jump to rifling? If that's true, is there a downside if accuracy and velocity are good?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”