SMLE Scout and Jacketed Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: SMLE Scout and Jacketed Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is the exterior and interior case dimension of a 303 British Privi Partizan case going from new, full-length sized to once fired and now ready for Collet sizing.

I never posted this stuff with my first lot of brass but all this is nearly identical. I will anneal and full-length resize it at the start of the sixth cycle and then chunk it after the 10th.

As I noted, this cartridge has been more of an education than I've experienced with any other of the 28 that I shoot. I'm going to call it quits; going with the PPU B-125 and 102% case fill of H100V (47.5-grains). This has been an outstanding load in both my No. 5 and No. 4 MKI and I need to move on to other rifles & cartridges.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Plenty of partial boxes of bullets trade hands daily.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Plenty of partial boxes of bullets trade hands daily.
Not around here, especially bullets for the 303 British. I suspect I own the only SMLE in the County, never talked to anyone that shoots one or knows anything about the cartridge. I will sell the two boxes on a forum or GB. Getting ready to list a bunch of brass.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I know a man who would love to buy the Speer HC 180 bullets as long as the price is not a gouge. Private message me and we can work out the details. Keep smiling friend. =]
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Can't say I know what is wrong on the Enfields forum. I joined and started posting almost immediately. WRT the loading for the LE I am hoping it is a rifle thing but I suspect, unless you have a select barrel and action such as those that were picked out for snipers, minute of moose is the general rule. I am not going to give up, actually just started, but I am definitely going to do some more research on the Epps modification. Tightening up the chamber should solve some if not all of the apparently inherent problems in the design. In the meantime it's full speed ahead, if it ever warms up a bit. Of course I am going to also get the Swiss 7.5 tuned in to its potential. I could always buy some GP11surplus ammo @ $1.00 each but nah I would much rather spend $1.50 hand loading my own +guns
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
As I noted, this cartridge has been more of an education than I've experienced with any other of the 28 that I shoot. I'm going to call it quits; going with the PPU B-125 and 102% case fill of H100V (47.5-grains). This has been an outstanding load in both my No. 5 and No. 4 MKI and I need to move on to other rifles & cartridges.
Sounds like it's been a total success then. You got to do a bunch of experimenting, learned a lot, and then ended up with a great-shooting load and rifles. ;) :t
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

And once again thanks for sharing that education. Bet the hogs won't be laughing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:And once again thanks for sharing that education. Bet the hogs won't be laughing.

This one wasn't. I shot him back in October when I started working with the PPU and H100V. The combo was an immediate hit, but in that, I was in the middle of load work, I didn't have any ammo. He was tearing my yard up, so I went into the reloading room and loaded one round of ammunition.

It is time to quit the load work and call a load that can shoot less than 1.2 MOA at 100-yards consistently a winner.

Looks like the Speers may have found a home and the Hornady's have been offered to a fellow that favor's them. All's good at the ranch, ordered another 500 of the PPUs from Grafs and Sons today. 1K should last me a couple of years.

I'm going to go ahead and fireform the remaining brass in the lot with Trail Boss. I've not figured out what to do with that so this is a place to burn it up and then load enough ammo to get things sighted in out to 300 yards with both the scope and peep sight and have enough to hunt with.

I've got other rifles waiting and my pistol shooting is getting ready to start, got to get busy and get this done.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:I could always buy some GP11surplus ammo @ $1.00 each but nah I would much rather spend $1.50 hand loading my own +guns
I hear and feel your pain. I spent $500 on custom molds that were a bust. This is a tough chambering to figure out. Biggest whipping I've taken.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd, I have pondered looking at the Epps and previously had looked at the Improved, but thought about ending the fireforming altogether by special ordering a Pacesetter sizing die from Lee. You send them five fired cases from your rifle and they make a die that fits the application. CH4D makes dies for both the Epps and Improved, but I don't understand why someone hasn't ever sold a die that simply matches the SAAMI chamber cut instead of the SAAMI cartridge drawing. Just call it a 303 British Fireformed, but maybe that would be too simple.

The Lee semi-special order 30-30 Ackley Improved dies I had did a good job of forming the brass against the interior of the die and I don't know why this would be any different.

The setup fee for a bullet seating die is $150 plus $21 for the die. I wish I could find 10 guys that think this is a good idea and that would bring the bullet seating die down to $36/each to match the chamber cut rather than the brass drawing. Not sure it is really needed though, the expense, I'm going to full-length size my brass twice before I chunk it. Definitely not work $171 for a single die purchase.
Michael

Return to “Rifle Reloading”