SMLE Scout and Jacketed Bullets

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: SMLE Scout and Jacketed Bullets

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:Does this happen after the case has come out of the sizing die or the chamber?
These are fired, un-sized cases. I am having trouble setting up to gauge them. The tapered case, the rim and the short non-tapered portion above the rim make it difficult to turn in a "V" block. I don't have a proper case gauge. The 303 case holder for the chuck is suspect too so I can't use my drill press to spin the case. If and when I figure out how to measure the darn things I will report back. Meanwhile I and going to neck size a few and load up some dummies with lead tip bullets and check the chambered round for alignment in the chamber with a tight round brass punch pushed down the barrel. Rough check I know but all I can think to do at the moment.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a Sinclair runout gauge and with it I can check a case after sizing and again after bullet seating. Because of the case features you mentioned, there is somewhat an optical illusion when you look at it, I have other cartridges which are similar to this one as well. My sized cases have less than .0005" of runout and bullets, after seating the Hornady #3130, less than .0013". I think that is pretty good but when I look at the tray, I can see what you view. It would help to get a picture of your cases but I think the lens would make them look normal, might be a way to check it.

I spent the entire afternoon prepping for a Hornady 303 British range day tomorrow. I will have some pictures this evening or first thing in the morning.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I spent the entire afternoon prepping for a Hornady 303 British range day tomorrow. I will have some pictures this evening or first thing in the morning.
It was a full afternoon! I started with examining bullet fit in my SMLE Scout. I've done this once before, but I did a poor job of recording the information because I did not work with all the bullets at the same time.

I wanted to examine the cartridge lengths at ogive to throat contact vs. seating depths at two arbitrary lengths; the bullet seated one caliber and 3/4 of a caliber in the case against the SAAMI limit of 3.075". About the latter first, both of my rifles have an actual magazine length limit of 3.070" when more than three cartridges are stacked in the magazine be it the original, original reproduction, or Pro-Mag magazines. When thinking about limiting bullet jump, I feel that the Hornady offers the best bullet fit and the ogive to throat contact probably influenced their decision to go with a round nose design.

As I started the work on the Hornady, I seated it a caliber (.312") deep. I think the cartridge needs the depth to minimize any induced runout that would be caused by magazine feed. This depth produces a 2.965" COAL, placing the aft edge of the bullet's cannelure at the case mouth.

As I mentioned in my post above, I this is an odd looking case sitting on the bench. You would swear it is not concentric. The Sinclair Concentricity Gauge solves that issue. The case can be rotated on the web and neck or bullet without any interference as the dial indicator displays any runout. Necks had less than .0005" and bullets less than .0015". I've researched this subject in depth and long range, 600 and 1000 yard, F-Class shooters like to see .002” or less.

Now would be a good time to talk about the EzXpander in the Lee die. The expander in my set is .310". I ordered a custom +.001" (.311") but the Hornady and Speer are going to require a +.002" if I go with either of those bullets. It is almost impossible to balance the bullets on the case mouth after using the +.001 (.311") expander. This expander works well with the PPU B-125.

So, my max loads of BL-C(2), H100V, H4895, and Varget with the Hornady #3130 are ready to shoot. Will walk up to the ranch it a bit and get busy. With the H100V, I did prepare loads at 100% and 105% of case capacity just to compare the differences. The 105% load is predicted to be at 47.0K PSI and it is definitely compressed!

Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I decided to try my hand at some macro photography. I lined up three .303 cases and took a series of photos. This is the best. I need to build a proper box for better for light and shadow control and my 28-70 lens isn't really a macro lens but I can see what I was trying to show so I guess that is the final test. From left to right. An once fired full length sized case, a twice fired unsized case and a twice fired case that has been neck sized. The lean on the cases isn't illustrative as they are sitting on foam. I will try it again with a hard flat surface. You should be able to see the blown out shoulder in the fired case and the slight push back of the shoulder in the neck sized one.
IMG_9956.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have some Win Super X in Power Point so I measured the whole box for OAL. They ran from 3.015 to 3.044 and everywhere in between. The crimp grooves sometimes were above the case mouth and sometimes below. I bought them to get the scope sighted but I can't really say they are inaccurate as I used some Federals I was given. I suppose as long as they are centre of moose I am okay lol.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I see what you mean about the middle case. My first guess is that it is being bent during extraction. My rifles really want to peel that spent round out to 2 o'clock position, maybe that is where it is happening. I would take a wide Sharpe and mark the 12 o'clock position of the case and make sure it is inserted into the chamber in that position. After the shot, I would give it about a minute to cool before extraction and see if the cooler brass is bent.

I think if the chamber/bore of your rifle was that non-concentric, you could not hit the barn. When the 338 Marlin Express rifles first came out a range of them had a "droop", the barrel not concentric with the chamber. It was not noticeable from the case neck condition, but they would not hit the barn at 50 yards.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With reference to my comments about extraction. If it remains after the brass as cooled a bit, your next step would be to make a chamber impression at least 3.075" long.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Stats from yesterday's range session with the Hornady 3130 174-grain Round Nose.

Visibility is very reduced this morning, but I hope to shoot the same with the PPU B-125 180-grain BTSP today.

My experience with H100V is that it does its best work compress but that full case of powder is tough to deal with. I think I will make a compromise and fill the case to 102%. It will drop the pressure a bit off the 47.0K, but I won't be spilling any during reloading.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Had a case fail yesterday, about a 90% at the web, that my wire didn't detect. So, I pulled out my smartphone bore scope and inspected the cases. I ended up chunking about some more. No doubt this brass is spent, but I think that I can get through this work before I start another lot of brass. I'm going to move into my 13th cycle of the brass today if the fog ever lets up today. That's not bad for all the changes the 303 British sizing goes though. I am sticking with full-length sizing until I complete this work. This bag of 50 cases has made provided for 596 rounds of ammunition!

As long as you have a 30 caliber neck, this thing works pretty well.

Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Great info! I have one of those bore-scope cameras and never thought to use it for checking brass. That ring shows up quite clearly.

I'll drag my stuff out later and check my brass.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”