30-30 (semi) Light Cast Loads

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 30-30 (semi) Light Cast Loads

Post by cj8281 »

Quite a few different forums that I have read on state that the Marlins with the Micro groove get the best accuracy at about 1600 fps. I used to cast WW with a bit of Linotype mixed in with a gas check and would load them up to 12 to 12.5 grains of Unique. I also used to load them up with RE7 and 748 but I don't remember the load data for those. Ex tossed my "old ratty" note book that had all of my load data when we moved one time. I really miss that notebook. My bullet of choice is my Lee 150 fp. It is a single cavity mold that I have had for years.
I know Berry's offers a 150 grain plated bullet but it does not come with a cannelure. No cannelure is the only reason I haven't tried them.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I haven't had any problems shooting cast bullets at jacketed bullet velocities with Micro-Groove barrels be it 30-30 Win, 32 Win Spl, 357 Mag, 35 Rem, 375 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 444 Marlin, or 45 Colt. It's all in the bullet design.

At one time I had an old Marlin magazine ad that stated Micro-Groove rifling was cast bullet friendly because the grooves of the rifling were shallower. Doesn't cut the bullets as deep.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I've only put around 40 of the cast 170's through my older micro-groove Marlin 30-30 and find no more than a few lead scales in the grooves. I tend to drag a dry bore snake through my barrels a couple of passes after a few shots at the range. On my Rossi R92's, the bore snake is all they get until every hundred or so round cycle comes around and they get a dose of those nasty chemicals.

As for the micro-groove, at least mine, there's been no unordinary leading having used both the perfectly sized and cast 170's and somewhat inferior cast RNFP 150's (actually casted at 142+/-). Both gas checked though, so I would guess that makes a difference.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks for your offer GG. The bullets I sent him where the C311-170-RF which is the standard lube groove version of the TLC311-170-RF you have. The difference between the two is the "TL" with Lee to identify their Micro Bands for "Tumble Lubeing." The "C" is for the gas check. Just wanted to provide this info in the Mr. S is new to all of this. There was also a TLC311-165-RF that I designed for newer production Marlins and the Win M94.

If you look at my three designs, you might not think they are the same, but...
RD_3030_Win.jpg
... as viewed by your rifle's chamber, they are. The C311-170-RF used the best features of both so that one bullet fit a wider variety of the rifles than the other two.

I still think the best bullet and deal out there would be the Hunter Supply as offered through MidwayUSA. You would need the Lee .311 sizer die and gas checks, but even with that, it is still a good deal and to me, looks like a bullet that would work. the bullet would weigh just under 160-grains which is what the 30-30 Win was originally designed for. I'm going to buy some for grins with my next Midway order.
HS-311-154.jpg
WOW! You must read minds Mike! I have two of these molds and really need to figure what is what. Was going to send you a pm inquiry. Think you have answered my as yet unasked questions! THANX!
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

also have a 32-20 revolver on the way. Plan to cast a 115-120 grn for it. And may try same in a 30-30 as a plinker/paper puncher for giggles and grins. True LW/almost Gallery load for 30-30!
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I haven't had any problems shooting cast bullets at jacketed bullet velocities with Micro-Groove barrels
I haven't either, I was just saying that they found their best accuracy at around 1600 fps.

In looking in my new Lyman casting book, they list a lot lower load for Unique in the 30-30. The 12 grains I listed came from my RCBS casting book.

I will be getting a chronograph pretty soon so I have lots of different things to test and look into. One of which is magnum vs standard primers with certain powders and deviation spread.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

Although the 170+/- with rifle powders are still my main goal, I've been a bit distracted by the use of the 142 gr (Lee C309-150F mold) from my local buddy and pistol powders. The 9.0 gr of Unique was surprising and the 9.3 gr "bump" was surprisingly disappointing, although it warrants a bit more examination as one "test" really proves nothing in my opinion. But, I've decided to move my current limited ability to focus on "fun stuff" to working with A2400 and the 142's. I have old notes that indicate loading 165 gr plain based bullets with 12.0 to 15.0 gr of A2400, so I decided to start the 142's with a load of 13.0 gr of A2400 and see how that works in my 30-30. Yesterday, during the storm, a box got loaded and ready for the next range test. Looking forward to seeing what A2400 does for me.

jd

ps, not sure if I documented (here at "LL") my results of the 9.3 gr Unique and the 142 gr bullet ....
ave of 10 shot group was 1451 fps - HI 1484 fps - L 1424 - ES 60 (not near as consistent as the 9.0 gr load)
The 50 yd "chrony target" had the 10 shot group at 1.2" Vertical and 0.9" Horizontal. Not a stellar group for 50 yards, but not a whole lot different than the previous groups with 9.0 gr Unique.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

just another derelict reloader documentation post ....

This morning I decided it was time to play hooky from work for a couple of hours so I decided my grandson (works for me) and I would make a little range trip to finally test the 13.0 gr of A2400 loads pushing the 142 gr GC local homespun bullets. I didn't know what to expect but was hoping for 1500+ fps and accuracy. But, I decided to try a bit of powder positioning while running the loads through the chrony. Since I decided to only run ten (of the 20 test loads) through the chrony and let the grandson shoot the other 10, only 5 at a time went through the chrony ... partly testing A2400 and powder position sensitivity. Pretty telling proof that "common knowledge" concerning powder sensitivity is probably true - at least with A2400. "Un-tilted", the first 5 rounds averaged 1422 fps with extreme spread of 159 fps and 5 shot group of 1.6" vert and 0.9" horiz. Then, "tilted" (to settle the powder to the primer) the 5 rounds averaged 1600 fps and extreme spread of 21 fps, with a 5 shot group of 1.1" vert and 1.0" horiz. The "Best 4 of 5" from both groups was sub 1" .... this was at my normal chrony target at 50 yards.

I have no doubt that the slower A2400 powder is more sensitive than the considerably faster Unique when it comes to powder position, so I think it's now time to load up a decent sized batch (of the 142 gr GC bullets) with 9.0 gr of Unique and find out.

My goal is still to find the ultimate cast 170 gr hunting load for the Marlin 336, but I have to admit that I'm now having a real blast tinkering with these lighter cast bullets and pistol powders.

Oh, just to add, still no unexpected leading :)

jd
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Enjoy the reporting JD!

MidwayUSA had some bullets I use with my Rem 600 35 Rem on clearance sale, Hornady .358" 200-grain SP InterLock #3510, so I went ahead and bought a box of the Hunter Supply .311" 154-grain FP 30-30 Win bullets that I mentioned earlier in this topic.

I will give them a try against my offerings with known loads.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

are you going to add gas checks and tumble lube?

jd

Return to “Rifle Reloading”