loading 35 Remington with pistol bullets?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

loading 35 Remington with pistol bullets?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Good morning, all!

In the Rossi Rifleman site, I mentioned a recent LGS buy I made - older Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. What my question is today, is if you guys might help me with some experience in load recipes using pistol bullets for the .35 Remington.
IMG_4092.jpg
I've got two big boxes of 125 and 158 grain LSWC polymer-coated Badman bullets that I would like to use for "plinking" loads for some fun shooting. I do not have any reloading programs, I have been just getting my feet wet in reloading using data from Lyman's 50th Edition and Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition for my .38/.357 ammo.

Thank you for your time! Off to get ready for my third graders once again!! :roll:

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: loading 35 Remington with pistol bullets?

Post by Ranch Dog »

What powders do you have to work with?

There might be a feed issue with SWC, might, that's about it.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

It is my understanding that the PC bullet will misbehave much like bare lead if it's not at least full groove dia . That shouldn't be a big deal in a 35 rifle but if the 125s are 9mm fat and 38 skinny they might be small for the rifle .

The SWC might have a feed issue but the Marlins I've had have been pretty flexible about length . Probably just about any light end data will get you started for these .

For cast/plated/PC bullets the recommendations are about the same .
When specific data isn't found use the closest or next heavier jacketed data with the slowest powders suitable for reduction . Some manuals will have reduced loads included in most cases a powder like IMR 4895 might be included in full power and reduced loads . Use that one and just work it up from the lowest start on up to best groups .

Of course with a Lyman book you may have cast data available and Unique is never a mistake , other than it's small charge volume . Good practice and a dip stick will remove those worries where a visual check might over look a double charge .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have used a Lyman 158 grain SWC gas checked in my slightly newer 336. I'll have to do some digging to see if I still have the data. It made a good plinking load. Cast from wheel weight with a little extra tin and sized 359. Took a couple ground hogs one summer with the load.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

You may also want to look at Trail Boss. A .358 will shoot okay but a .359 would be better. I wouldn't push them over 1600 fps and would feel better at 14-1500.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have a .360" 180gr gas check mold from NOE that would be pretty exciting.....
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I have used a Lyman 158 grain SWC gas checked in my slightly newer 336. I'll have to do some digging to see if I still have the data. It made a good plinking load. Cast from wheel weight with a little extra tin and sized 359. Took a couple ground hogs one summer with the load.

Make smoke,
Well I looked and evidently the 35 Rem loads were in the note book that disappeared some time back. The Lyman mold I used was the 358156. With my notes gone and working on memory I don't remember any leading to speak of, but seem to recall that I couldn't stroke the lever too fast without having some feeding problems. With the long barrel if you use cast you're going to want a good lube and plenty of it so you don't run out of lube before you run out of barrel.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Ranch Dog wrote:What powders do you have to work with?

Michael, I don't have any rifle powder at all. What I've got is a bottle of Win 231 for my .38 and .357 reloading. I would love some ideas on what might be a powder to use for my efforts to load my few rifle calibers that I have Lee Loaders for.

I have: .30Rem/.30-30Win; .32Rem/.32Win, .35Rem, and soon will have a .300Sav Lee Loader to add to the collection.

My instinct was to keep things mellow, and try to avoid a powder that I would have to compress too much. My shooting will almost always be training and paper-punching, since I want to improve my shooting skills before I tag along with one of my college buddies to go deer hunting eventually.

I know that I could probably buy some Win 748 and it would work well for pretty much all of the rounds I have listed.
Really want to hear about what you guys think would be a nice all-around powder so I don't need to get too many varieties just yet - keep it simple, so I keep my one-at-a-time loading safe and straightforward.

Thanks!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:What powders do you have to work with?

Michael, I don't have any rifle powder at all. What I've got is a bottle of Win 231 for my .38 and .357 reloading. I would love some ideas on what might be a powder to use for my efforts to load my few rifle calibers that I have Lee Loaders for.
Win 231 will work for getting started. A great reference is at: http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Just select your cartridge and then do a page search for 231 to jump to the charted data. I suspect that 9 to 10 grains of W231 is going to work for all your rifle cartridges. In that you are looking to just push a bullet out the barrel of a rifle with this powder and are probably using Lee dippers, I would go with the .7 dipper for about 7.5-grains of W231 and call it a day. If you don't have a .7 dipper, let me know as I might be able to find one.
alphalimafoxtrot wrote:I have: .30Rem/.30-30Win; .32Rem/.32Win, .35Rem, and soon will have a .300Sav Lee Loader to add to the collection.

My instinct was to keep things mellow, and try to avoid a powder that I would have to compress too much. My shooting will almost always be training and paper-punching, since I want to improve my shooting skills before I tag along with one of my college buddies to go deer hunting eventually.

I know that I could probably buy some Win 748 and it would work well for pretty much all of the rounds I have listed.
Really want to hear about what you guys think would be a nice all-around powder so I don't need to get too many varieties just yet - keep it simple, so I keep my one-at-a-time loading safe and straightforward.
For keeping it mellow, W748 would not be my choice as it can push the pressure limits of your cartridges pretty quick. Looking at your list, what I would suggest is Varget. That would be my first choice with H322 being second.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

In checking out my Lee Second Edition I noted a listing for a 158 grain lead bullet using Reloder 7. In my opinion it was too fast for a lead bullet at 2100 fps. I went to the Alliant site and they had a recipe for a 158 grain jacketed UCHP Speer "Plinking" bullet running at rifle speed, 2357 fps using Reloder 7. I shoot 35 Remington so I just may see if I can find the bullet up here. I ran a Quickload check on the Hornady FP/XTP (#35780) using Reloder 7, H4198 and IMR4198 and it gives comparable results for all three to the Speer bullet for the same powder charge. The IMR gave the highest fps at over 2400.
Speer 158 UCHP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”