20 Gauge reloaders anyone?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

20 Gauge reloaders anyone?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Guys & gals,

Just curious - I have no experience reloading shotshells, wondered if anyone here reloads 20 gauge. I'm very interested in adding several 20's to my 12's for company... :roll:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 20 Gauge reloaders anyone?

Post by number1wrench »

I load 20ga.Ballistic Products Advantages manual has considerable data and on their website under Load of the week go to archives and more data there. Claybuster wad website has data available for 7/8 and3/4 oz. using there wads. I have great success with the Claybuster wads.I would expect Dave in Az to comment here also as he loads 20ga.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I've reloaded on a MEC600 and have loaded some BP 20's just for grins. I used the MEC for every stage of the BP shells EXCEPT loading the BP. That was done manually using a brass measure.
:D
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought an MEC 12 Jr. but flipped it before trying to figure out how to use it. No point for me, I very rarely shoot a shotgun.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I load for both 12 and 20 gauge. I have a Mec progressive in both gauges plus a Ponsness Warren 375C single stage with both sets of tooling installed. I've loaded a bunch using all these presses, what is it exactly you would like to know? Of you're wondering about cost, not a lot of savings in these gauges in target loads, but there is some, plus you can load "better" shells than the "cheapies" that will more suit your needs. I would rather load shot shells than metallic any day, just more "fun" to me...it's also quite easy once you learn the ropes.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Thanks, guys!

I was really interested in whether or not reloading shotshells for HD or custom loads was anywhere near an economical effort. As I am just getting into reloading with Lee Loader kits for a few specific rifle and pistol rounds, I am by no means knowledgeable on the subject.

Recently, I have been reading up on 20 gauge shotshells and their performance with newer loadings to optimize their use in rifled slug barrels - yeah, the Savage 220 - and I was very surprised. Also, being only a lifelong 12 gauge guy for occasional clays busting and HD I'd never thought of getting into 20 gauge. I like the reduced recoil, who wouldn't? Seems like you can get loads or make them for the 20 that will just about be on par with 12 gauge, at least close enough that I'm looking for a gun now to try out in 20.

Thanks for offering your ideas and I look forward to learning more about shotshell reloading!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Years ago when I was loading both 12 and 20 I found I got the best results by following the recipes in the Lyman shotshell manual that I had at the time - hull, wad, powder and shot load. I had a Lyman loader which was a metal version of the Lee loaders I see in pictures. You moved the shell from left to right one at a time, not as slow as it sounds and the machine actually made good loads. I still have it just don't use it very often as a box of bird/squirrel loads cost less these day than buying components.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Just starting and found a good load right off. 12's and 20's are too cheep to load for any other reason than you can get superior patterns with your loads. I have an old Texan for the 12 and got a lee for the 20. The lee is slow, but it is cheep cheep and does the job.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

The only reason I reload for shot gun anymore is for 1oz 12 gauge loads. I haven't reloaded any 20 for quite some time as I have many, many, boxes still on the shelf. I'm also running precariously short of shot... :cry:
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:Thanks, guys!

I was really interested in whether or not reloading shotshells for HD or custom loads was anywhere near an economical effort. As I am just getting into reloading with Lee Loader kits for a few specific rifle and pistol rounds, I am by no means knowledgeable on the subject.

Recently, I have been reading up on 20 gauge shotshells and their performance with newer loadings to optimize their use in rifled slug barrels - yeah, the Savage 220 - and I was very surprised. Also, being only a lifelong 12 gauge guy for occasional clays busting and HD I'd never thought of getting into 20 gauge. I like the reduced recoil, who wouldn't? Seems like you can get loads or make them for the 20 that will just about be on par with 12 gauge, at least close enough that I'm looking for a gun now to try out in 20.

Thanks for offering your ideas and I look forward to learning more about shotshell reloading!
Adam
I would advise Lyman's Shotgun Reloading Manual as a great reference. ballisticproducts.com has information on website at Load of the week, they also have Manuals relevant to shotshell handloading. Their "Advantages Manual" very informative. Also BPI has a slug loading manual. I have no slug loading experience but I am going to pursue learning more about 20ga. Handloading shotshells to create your own choosing is where the savings becomes apparent as handloading will provide access to loads not commercially available.

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”