Brass 410 shotshells

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scattergun; be it buckshot, shot, or slugs.
beekeeper

Brass 410 shotshells

Post by beekeeper »

Please do not beat me up on this as I know Zip-Nada about shotshell reloading except for 12 guage Lee loader.
Read an article about making 410 brass shotshells out of 303 rifle brass.
Measured a 410 shotshell and a 303 brass and it seems it would be feasible.

Friend gave me 3 303 brass to play with.
Can open it up with several of the M die spuds but not full length
Tried one in my 410 and it will not close as the rim slips past the ejector.
Reason is brass body is too small and lets the brass slip to one side enough to allow it to slip past the ejector.

Anyone know of a tool to expand the full length of the brass?

beekeeper
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Brass 410 shotshells

Post by RBHarter »

So here's what I did. As fired, 323,35?(9mm/38) annealing, 40, 45, as deep as the 40 and 45 will reach.
I did turn a mandrel of a long taper type from 350 to 450 over an inch and a little bit.
There is an old 303 trick using a lap or 2 of scotch tape or an "o"ring under the rim to hold the case against the bolt face in the Enfields to fire form correct shoulder head space. Here it centers the case base in the chamber.

I got a little over zealous with my fire forming charges. A charge of 5gr ( I used 8gr on the 1st batch)of Unique with meat tray plug wads and a 454 RB (141gr). That will knock about 60-80% of the resulting "coke bottle" effect out.
I also tried the corn meal bit after getting the mouth up to 45 but basically leaving the shoulder/body and a little shoulder but that only squared about half the case. Anneal again after firing or better before loading. I let the torch line go about 2/3 of the case length. You should probably protect the head in a water bath just for longevity of the primer Pocket.

I would send you mine as I no longer have the 410 Commanchee pistol. I have 20 or so, shipping and a little for the brass or it would be my honor to have lunch with you at some point in my immanent trip to Ridgecrest perhaps in 4 corners Aka Kramers jct.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Shotgun Reloading”