Henry 45

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Henry 45

Post by akuser47 »

Dings in wood can be steamed dings n scratches in the blue in not so easy. That's why lately stainless is my favorite . So easy to polish out metal blemishes.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Got a couple hundred rounds through the Henry now. Am getting consistent hits on a 8 inch plate at 100 yards. Now I will have to put it on paper at 25, 50, and 75 yards so I will know where to hold at the closer ranges. My shooting for now is from a folding lawn chair while shooting at the 100 yard plate.

I am looking for a used lawn tractor without a mower deck. I will put a gunrest and baskets to carry guns and ammo around at the range this summer. I expect to get a prosthetic lower leg early this summer, but will probably make good use of the powered transportation most of the year. When I don't need it anymore I will find someone to give it to that can use it the way I plan on using it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm glad to hear that you are out shooting and good idea for the lawn tractor. I could be made into a heck of a conversation piece on top of the function!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

The lawn tractor should be fun and bet if you placed an ad in the paper you would get a dozen delivered to your front door.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

Added the large loop lever and sling swivels to my Henry. The sling makes it possible for me to at least move the rifle around a little when I am using the lousy walker. (shouldn't cuss the walker, at least it gives me some mobility) Get cast for my prosthetic leg in 1 more week, Hot Dang!

Back on topic: The large loop lever lets me get my little finger in on the work. Should also make it possible to pump more hot lead into bad guys that break in my home. I really like the feel of the new lever.

The rifle on top is a Winchester 9422M XTR. It's my squirrel/rabbit gun. When I got it I liked the 22 mag cartridge so much I quit using 22LR to hunt with.
WinAndHenry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I know this is about the Henry but dang if that Winchester doesn't look stunning.

On the Henry, I first badmouthed Henry for the feeding being done via the mag tube but I'm actually getting a little envious of that. It's easy to unload and should hardly ever if ever deform cast bullet noses. My Rossi loading gate is a little stiff so some cast HP bullets slightly deform trying to feed them through the slot. Jacketed bullets would solve that but where is the fun in that. Your Henry will never have this problem!!!
Steve

Post by Steve »

The brass on the Henry is starting to turn a little more golden color now, I'm kind of liking that. I will probably have to polish it up a couple times a year, time will tell. I picked up a couple more tiny dings in the stock and a couple minute scratches in the brass when I went shooting yesterday. I guess those just give it a little more integrity. Before I started using it I should of sent it to Henry to have it engraved "I'm Going To Get Scratched Up"

It's sure been fun to use, wish I would have got a 45 Colt rifle to use a long time ago. Guess I better add a 45 Colt pistol to the stable now.

I have been shooting a good friends reloads and there is nothing for me to save by reloading them myself. But I am going to get all the necessary parts for the Loadmaster to reload 45 colt. I will use it to load heavy charges for hunting. I will continue shooting Jim's rifle loads for plinking and practice because Jim is such a good friend and he might take it wrong if I quit shooting his ammo.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Dont polish too much, the patina makes the gun even more beautiful.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I know this is about the Henry but dang if that Winchester doesn't look stunning.

On the Henry, I first badmouthed Henry for the feeding being done via the mag tube but I'm actually getting a little envious of that. It's easy to unload and should hardly ever if ever deform cast bullet noses. My Rossi loading gate is a little stiff so some cast HP bullets slightly deform trying to feed them through the slot. Jacketed bullets would solve that but where is the fun in that. Your Henry will never have this problem!!!
10-4 on the Winchester Maximumbob. The scope on it is a "Simmons 22mag". That scope works so well with that rifle that I got one for my 22 also.

I have to give the loading and unloading a +1 for Henry. I really like the function.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:The large loop lever lets me get my little finger in on the work. Should also make it possible to pump more hot lead into bad guys that break in my home. I really like the feel of the new lever.
Where you able to order the large loop lever directly from Henry?
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”