Coon hunt

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
f100cleveland
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Coon hunt

Post by f100cleveland »

Shorthair had a coon in a hollow tree and wouldn't leave it alone and was barking constantly. Have had a few dead coon and a couple wandering around in the middle of the day acting slow and out of it so figured I would take care of this one with the 454 Raging bull with full load 240gr XTP mag. I could see him about 3ft up inside the tree so just aimed there and let one fly. I thought my ear drums burst. Ya no ear plugs. Never even thought about it. Never again. Wow that thing barks. I did get the coon through 4 inches of tree in and out.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Coon hunt

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's one way to do it!
Michael
9x80Drilling
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Coon hunt

Post by 9x80Drilling »

I don't recall my age at the time, maybe 12 or so, back in the early '60s. While out squirrel hunting with my terrier and Savage 29 .22 LR pump, I watched a grey disappear into an opening in a 6" diameter oak. Being of the mindset at the time that the kill is all important, I eased my rifle into the hole and fired. Imagine the surprise when 3 greys came tumbling out! At first, I was elated, as was Spooky, the dog.
Then I got to thinking about it. Really unsporting I decided, after reading everything written back in those days in the hunting magazines. Decided to modify my methods of take to include some ethics. Ha ha ha.
I remember my dad and brother remarking that I had strangely gut shot these 3 squirrels the same way. OOPS! Just amazing how life teaches us at times.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”