Big Boars = Big Bore

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Big Boars = Big Bore

Post by Ranch Dog »

I started to have a big hog probably early last week. Big boars coming across the highway and working along both sides, all 400 yards, of my entry road. It took me a couple of days to figure them out but I figured that they were crossing the "Farm to Market" road as the moon rise. Wednesday night I decided to stay up and get to a vantage point along the road just before the moon came up at shortly after midnight on Thursday morning.

About 11:00 I got showered up and everything scent free as the wind was light and variable. I decided to take my Rossi 92 chambered in 480 Ruger as I thought the work would be up close in that the moon would not be high enough to offer much help, I don't use any light.

As I told my wife good night and looked out the door, I saw four large boars walk into my yard about 70 yards out! What luck! I was total gear up so I slipped out and down the breezeway into my barn. As I rested the rifle on my tractor's rear tire and looked through the scout scope two large hogs were perfectly lined up for a "twofer". Because of their size, I let them separate and then engage one - BOOM!

The boar did a dirt dive when the TLC478-375-RF smacked it and never got up. The three others hit the brush in high gear.

So, this was a minute after midnight on Thursday morning. Friday mid morning, I was getting ready to go run some errands in Victoria and there were some buzzards on the brushline down range of where I dropped the hog. I thought that weird but I had just mowed with the shredder and it is not uncommon to whack mice, rats, frogs, etc., so I thought that was bring the few that gathered. When I got back from the big city around 3:30, there was no doubt sometime big was back there as there was at least two dozen buzzards on the ground.

There was a second large boar just inside the brushline! So there were five boars, I had not see this one that just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. I had taken I high shoulder shot on the original boar, a good place to shoot them as it breaks both shoulders along with the spine and the debris takes out the arteries and lungs. After doing all that the bullet traveled 25 yards, cut a 1" mesquite sapling down and then hit the hog broadside, in and out just ahead of the hips and below the spine. It did a massive amount of damage and there was no signs of struggle, I sure didn't hear anything. It must have died immediately.

So there was five boars out there and I did get a 241!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Big Boars = Big Bore

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Kind of explains why the 480 is said to be good medicine in bear country. That was one busy bullet.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Heck yeah. The freight train 480! Are you still running them with Lil Gun? From what I remember, my load with 2400 was a 100 FPS slower... But I've got a suspicion it wouldn't really matter.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Kind of explains why the 480 is said to be good medicine in bear country. That was one busy bullet.
Yeah, I think I would be comfortable hunting the western bears with it.
357cyrus wrote:Heck yeah. The freight train 480! Are you still running them with Lil Gun? From what I remember, my load with 2400 was a 100 FPS slower... But I've got a suspicion it wouldn't really matter.
Yeah, haven't changed my load at all. It is a good one.
Michael
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

Been caught on the ground by a herd (100-150?) of wild boars 25+ yrs ago in Germany (Russian variety)... IMO, can NEVER have to much gun for a boar! Nice work
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The last two days I've had a sow out feeding just a short distance from my house on the powerline that runs to my home. I plant this easement with a variety of things for the winter. She is in what is left of the wheat shucking the seeds off the stems. I think she has seven little piglets with her, they are so small it is tough to count. This is the view from my master bedroom window except that I'm outside on the breezeway. The building at the brushline is an irrigation well, the well that is plumbed to my food plots.

Last night Buster was back around midnight. This is a large boar that I thought might have joined up with the rascals that caused all the damage last week. He apparently is smart enough to know trouble is about to happen and was gone five days.

I had gotten up to "water" about midnight last night and Buster was out at the "moonlit" feeder so I sat down and watched him. Just as I was getting ready to go back to bed I saw one of the sow's piglets race out into the lighting. The boar immediate rushed the young one and tossed it back into the brush. At the height of its arc it was about 6' in the air! Never seen anything like that. In that I was inside I could not hear what was going on but he was quite %@*&$ off and braced facing the brush, I suspect the sow was giving him hell. In a flash he charged into the dark brush and I could see sticks flying. I think he was going to teach her a thing or two about occupying his space.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Rd that piglet flying through the air sure would have been worth seeing.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Rd that piglet flying through the air sure would have been worth seeing.
And proof that pigs do fly!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I've now been privy to seeing 6 put down with a 45 Colts Carbine we've recovered 1 bullet that 1 broke both shoulders and was under the off side skin , I don't think there is any danger of cutting down a tree to kill a 2nd hog with them . I kind of wish I had the 454.

That is a gob of throttle authority in a little bitty case.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:I've now been privy to seeing 6 put down with a 45 Colts Carbine we've recovered 1 bullet that 1 broke both shoulders and was under the off side skin , I don't think there is any danger of cutting down a tree to kill a 2nd hog with them . I kind of wish I had the 454.

That is a gob of throttle authority in a little bitty case.
Maybe you can +P your colt load for the rifle RB. I haven't done it yet with my 45 colt load, but with all the reading I have done I have decided to give it a try in the rifle.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”