Here it is the End of March & only the 2nd hog this year!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Here it is the End of March & only the 2nd hog this year!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hogs have been few and far between this year. A couple of weeks ago I had one in the very back of the pasture working, but after ten days, he moved off, and I was never able to intercept him.

Three nights ago, I had the entrance to my place up on the highway rooted up. Upset me as I had it looking good. Two nights ago at dark, the yard deer let me know that there was a hog in the brush but he never showed himself then or throughout the night. Last night, about an hour before dark, the yard deer went on high alert, so I started looking. On the powerline right-of-way leading to my house, about 300 yards out, was a large boar running toward my house. The yard feeder had just gone off, so he knew about it. I waited until he got to the feeder, I knew he would run back into the brush, they always do after they first arrive, and when he did, I slipped out into my yard. He came back out, but he wasn't happy as the deer were blowing at him. He started to leave, and as he crossed the damn on my pond, I got on him and took a steep quartering away shot with what I thought should be through the heart.

As I slipped out the door, I had grabbed my SMLE No. 5 Scout rifle. I regretted that as the Rio Grande 45-70 was sitting right next to it and I had promised the RG it was up next. It was getting dark but went out and looked around, but I couldn't see anything, so I thought I had missed the 90-yard shot. My wife was watching as well, and she thought I had not hit it as it had not flinched.

Went out this morning to the point he dropped off the dam and he was laying there dead in his tracks. The bullet had gone through his heart and broken his opposite side leg. You would have never known it as he did not miss a step. He didn't bleed a drop either. No heart left to pump it out. I like to hit them a bit higher to knock them off their feet, given their low center of gravity, but the steep angle of the shot did not allow it. I shot him with this load, it produces 2315 FPS at the muzzle and would have hit him with about 1800 ft/lbs of energy at 90-yards.

Number 1 rule of hog hunting is to knock them off their feet!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Here it is the End of March & only the 2nd hog this year

Post by RBHarter »

Nicely done .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”