Blue Range!

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Blue Range!

Post by Ranch Dog »

In another topic, I mentioned that I was going to paint my pistol pad blue to see how the brass stood out. I did that yesterday as I was spraying weeds ahead of a frontal system we were expecting. The "blue" is an agricultural dye that is used with water based solutions so that you know where you have sprayed whether the application is by hand or boom.

I tried it at a 1% solution but it was a bit light so went to 2%. It was a very dark morning, darker than the pictures would suggest, but the small 32 Auto brass stood out like a sore thumb! While spraying, I found a mix of 32 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 Auto that I missed two weeks ago. As soon as I sprayed the die, the brass stood out.

I buy this dye by the gallon ($40) but you can buy it by the quart as well. By the gallon, it is 31¢ an ounce. It took no more than 3 gallons of solution to cover the pad so a bit less than 2 ounces of dye or 62¢ and it took two minutes to spray the pad. So, if I pick up six extra cases it would be a win. I noticed the blue was a lot easier on the eyes as well and I bet if I'm shooting in the sun it will be a blessing as the glare off the white rock can be bad.

It will also be interesting to look at the longevity of the dye. You must use a detergent to remove it, and even that requires a few days of scrubbing. Blue hands in my area is a common thing. I do use a 1% solution of Dawn Ultra in my spray mix to act a surfactant, making the water wetter, so I don't know if that will help the rain dissolve it once dried.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blue Range!

Post by Ranch Dog »

We had .9" of rain over a two hour period this morning, I just walked up and looked at the pad, and it is at least 80 to 85% of the tint it was yesterday after the application. Not bad at all. Anytime I have a shoot with others planned; the pad is going to get sprayed with dye.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

That is very cool !
I wish I could do something like that here ......... Rain does help .
New smart ideas for the new place !
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Did you use a flat fan or hollow cone nozzle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:Did you use a flat fan or hollow cone nozzle.
A cone but I don't think it would matter.
Michael
jdl447
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by jdl447 »

Took the 357 Rossi to the gun club the other day. Came home with a couple dozen extra 357 cases and a dozen or so 38s. Funny how little brass tubes make me happy.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

jdl447 wrote:Took the 357 Rossi to the gun club the other day. Came home with a couple dozen extra 357 cases and a dozen or so 38s. Funny how little brass tubes make me happy.
Always good to come home with more cases than you left with and usable to boot :D .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jloader

Post by jloader »

Ranch Dog wrote: While spraying, I found a mix of 32 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 Auto that I missed two weeks ago. As soon as I sprayed the die, the brass stood out.
Now how the hell did you spray the ground without getting any die on the brass.... :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jloader wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote: While spraying, I found a mix of 32 Auto, 9mm Luger, and 45 Auto that I missed two weeks ago. As soon as I sprayed the die, the brass stood out.
Now how the hell did you spray the ground without getting any die on the brass.... :lol:
Don't know, did not stick to the brass.
Michael

Return to “The Shooting Range”