30-30 Cat Sneeze Loads

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

30-30 Cat Sneeze Loads

Post by mr surveyor »

Even though I've been on a 2 month stretch devoted to the .45 acp, I got distracted. Actually the .45 acp distracted me from the .44 mag ... etc.... For some reason I got nostalgic about the 30-30 a few days ago and decided yesterday I'd load a couple dozen of my favorite 30-30 cat sneeze loads. These are from the batch of Lee mold cast 150 rnfp g/c bullets I got from a local buddy (they are closer to 143 gr) with 9.0 gr of Unique, mixed brass, S&B primers. Last year while working up a load the accuracy for my 336 settled at the 9.0 load, and over 3-4 chrony tests it averages 1460 fps. On the target it's 5 shots with three holes ... if it weren't for those two wild flyers it would have made a good group :)

There was a bit too much going on at the range for me to stretch them out at 100 yards but I did get to shoot a couple rounds at 100 .... they were about 1/2 inch apart, proper windage and six inches low. I would like to see how they group at 100, but the wind has to be just right. I'd imagine I've shot between 80 and a hundred of this load in the last year in 5 and 10 round groups, and all have been consistent groups around 1 inch or so at 50 yards. It's this load that made me make a statement on another forum about squirrels and rabbits. I figure if I was into reloading 50 years ago and had a 30-30, that rifle would have ended up being the only small game rifle I'd ever shoot, as well as using it for it's intended purpose of larger game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 30-30 Cat Sneeze Loads

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice load work and shooting!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:I figure if I was into reloading 50 years ago and had a 30-30, that rifle would have ended up being the only small game rifle I'd ever shoot, as well as using it for it's intended purpose of larger game.
Fifty years ago, there was a lot of that with a single rifle. I don't know anyone who hunts rabbits anymore; its all about hogs.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I hate it when I get fliers like that .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “The Shooting Range”