Too much for 1 topic

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Too much for 1 topic

Post by RBHarter »

Not to many Lee tools but a journey worth sharing. ....actually I guess there were quite a few.

I've had the Ruger Blackhawk for upwards of 10 yr now and the 92' for just a little over a year,the 1917 is new to me and seems to be an exceptional piece.

I have struggled with the 92' mostly with accuracy issues and the want to share a load with the RBH even if they won't share brass .
The quest was easy enough for the Blackhawk it works well with Unique under Lee RNFP 452 255 ,SWC 452 252 and an RCBS 45 200 SWC intended for ACP. 5" field rest 50 yd groups were the norm with all but the 200gr . I used it as a plinker and lead saver.
The 92' didn't like 252s at the top loads which the Blackhawk thrives on ,I think the nose is to wide as they tumble at 50 yd. Backed down just a grain they shoot fine but for my hog quests it lacks the error margins I wanted. I tried the RNFP 255s but they just weren't right they would sometimes yaw and sometimes not . Last winter I was gifted a Lyman 430424 that had been opened professionally to drop at .448 which seemed like a perfect paper patch candidate but the groups just weren't coming in with it at my hoped 1350 plus. I also had to really be on top of the length as it is just too long. Most recently I picked up Lyman 454424 . This seems to be the ticket ....huge down side is that it is a single cavity mould. While the Blackhawk still has a box of the hog loads of 9.5 gr of Unique and the 252 I needed to have a load for 92' . It's shorter the the 430 so feeding length issues are resolved it drives into the middle 1200 with Unique but with H110 and Speer/ Hogdon data 1345 to 1356 has been done with good off hand kneeling groups and no yaw . Good for me bad for hogs . Another note worthy point of interest is that the crimp groove is lower on the 454424 than either of the Lee's allowing lower pressures or more powder. Having reached my goal velocity and stayed presumibly in the low Ruger only loads and the keeping pressures to by the book 20 kpsi or so I'm really liking this combination for the 92' even if the Blackhawk didn't like it with the Lee moulds. Due to my time constraints I cast the bullets from WW and air cooled rather than my typical 50/50 1-20/WW water dropped, the later being more target/impact likely to expand than WW .
The best part is that the 454424 at 257 gr also make the 1917 S&W very happy . Speer is the only book on hand that shows data for heavier than 230 gr bullets in ACP with 5.5 gr of Unique as a maximum for a 260 gr JHP . This old gal seems pretty happy with that under this bullet shooting to point of hold and consistently putting them into a 6" or so 25 yd cluster from Weaver or kneeling through the Chrony sky screens . They are tip toeing along at just 820-840 fps . I've been advised that this isn't possible in a 5" 1911 much less a 1918 vintage 1917 S&W but since the Chrony agrees with other data and factory ammo in factory guns (within the tolerance windows) I'm left to believe that it is resonablly accurate, besides it agrees with the 1 that got gas checked for older loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Too much for 1 topic

Post by RBHarter »

Here are the ACP in clips and a Colts . I think absolutely the best thing about the ACP in the N frame is the unlimited oal space . These do stop tight at the throat ,I need a 453 sizer as I was convinced that my measured 453 was improbable as they are all 455-6 ...... so the 454 sizer leaves them touch/firm but not press fit in but 2 chambers ,1 plunks and 1 requires a thumb press to seat or drags on the frame during cocking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I used the Load Master for the Colts as I'm to lazy to move the dies and it is set up for the Colts . I simply used a funnel in place of the powder measure to work up the loads .
This is the 1st time I have used the Classic 4 hole as intended with the powder measure and 3 dies all Lee and I must say that other than a minor lube and my own sequencing learning curve I am impressed.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Looks like you had a good time figuring things out and shooting your guns.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like your "ramblings" as a handloader, lot's of information there. Nice looking bullets what are you using for lube?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have used Darrs lube exclusively since I started casting . The original recipe is 1 lb paraffin, 1 lb Vaseline and 2 tbsp STP/RCBS case lube. I guess the original case lube was just the paper can STP oil treatment. I found that in the 90-100 degree days that it would creep rather badly and melt out. So I modified it with more paraffin and STP. It now stands at 14 Oz of Vaseline ,1 lb paraffin and 3 tbsp STP. Just the plain old oil treatment. I have pushed it to 2100 fps without issue on purpose and to 2700 by mistake, that 222 jumps pretty fast. In that case I wouldn't call it a failure but more a case of exceeding the limits.

Return to “The Shooting Range”