Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shooting time has been rather limited with the various work that I have going on with the ranch this summer. About a month ago, I saddled up to the shooting bench to record some pressure trace data and my CED Millennium 2 chronograph was nothing but a hassle with the error messages it was producing. The whole shooting session was a waste of time and components. CED convinced me that it needed a lighted screen set, I'm still wondering how I was duped into this thinking as it has never needed them before. So two weeks later and with 100 bucks less in my pocket, I sat with the IR screens plugged in. As I started to shoot, I immediately started to see the same errors as before. I was really upset especially in light of the setup time involved for the pressure trace work. I scooped the CED up and threw it in back of the Mule. Sitting at the shooting bench with phone in hand, I went online to MidwayUSA and bought their Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit as I've been worn very thin with the CED.

It arrived in two days with standard shipping and I put it through its first range session yesterday. Using the downloaded app, it captured all the data strings without issue. I honestly wasn't expecting much because the reviews have been mixed but it did record every shot right out of the box.

Everything; which includes the chronograph, plain screens, lighted screens, the various cables, and tripod come in a neat range bag. The chronograph has no basic function, like the Shooting Chrony F1, unless you have it hooked to a smart device with the supplied cord. With the Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph app, it has a many if not more functions than any chronograph I've owned. The app is free and was available for my Android based device. Here is a screenshot of one 5 shot session.

Not only does the app collect your data but it can take a picture of the target and measure the group that you shot! It also immediately captures the temperature and barometric pressure for your location; something that I do forget until later in the day when I download the CEDs info. In fact, the bench setup for the pressure trace session was pretty awesome! The strain gauge on the barrel was connected to the processor unit which was connected to the software on my laptop via bluetooth. The chronograph was connected to my phone by a cable and my phone was transmitting the app data, via bluetooth, to the TMT handloading software that was on my laptop. It was very nice not to download anything later and have it all placed in the right place and in the correct application or software!

I bought this just to give me breathing room while I evaluate other chronographs but honestly, this kit is a lot of bang for $135 bucks. The chronograph unit itself is comparable to the quality of the CED. I did notice that at 15', I had no problem seeing the screen readout. The screens are comparable to the CED as well. The tripod was a bit light but it will work fine and I do have the tripod that I was using with the CED that I bought from Wal-Mart.

If you are looking for a chronograph and have a smartphone, I don't think you can go wrong with this unit! I'm can give it nothing but a thumbs up!
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit

Post by mr surveyor »

RD

In the printout of the stats, what is the category labeled "Shot/sec" ?

jd

edit ...... :oops: never mind ..... yeah, I know, it's inversely proportional to the squaw on the hippopotamus ..... and I deal with a bazillion numerical stats every day :roll:

edit again .... one shot every 33 +/- seconds :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Funny but that went right past me. I'm not sure what it means. The user manual just indicates that it records shot/sec but it does explain it. A web search brought up nothing and I don't see how the ".03" could relate to 33 seconds. Truly drawing a blank so I went on Battenfeld's web site, the manufacturer, and left a message with the question for customer service.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm just guessing that there's some type of software driven timer .... whether it works in practice or not ... that calculates the shots per unit of time, and the base default in the s/w may be stuck at shots per second. If that's the case, then .03 shot/sec would equate to one shot every 33.3333 seconds (the reciprocal of .03, i.e. 1/X where "X" would be .03). Not knowing how fast you were actually shooting, I couldn't say for sure about my "theory", but even if you were waiting 5 minutes between shots, if you shut down the "timer" (whatever part of the hardware keeps the time) between shots, or some communication glitch in the various hardware components could make the "shot/sec" feature appear to be inaccurate.

Just to remind you, the only PHD I have is in "Post Hole Digging", and I gave that up a long time ago :lol:

You got me wanting to know what the manufacturer says even though I wish I could get away from all the daily number details sometimes.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ok, I understand were you derive the number. Both recorded strings have the same value. Kind of weird that it would work out to 33 seconds for both. I will let you know what they have to say.
Michael
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

RD,
I'm glad that you posted this with positive comments. My nephew bought me one of these for Xmas. I haven't taken it out of the box, yet, but when I have some results I'll post them here.

Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan 444 wrote:RD,
I'm glad that you posted this with positive comments. My nephew bought me one of these for Xmas. I haven't taken it out of the box, yet, but when I have some results I'll post them here.

Dan
That's a cool Christmas gift!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Dan 444 wrote:RD,

Dan
That's a cool Christmas gift!

And from a nephew too. +guns
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Ok, I understand were you derive the number. Both recorded strings have the same value. Kind of weird that it would work out to 33 seconds for both. I will let you know what they have to say.
I received a reply that the calculation is simply shots per second but is limited to paintball guns. Apparently, this is the slow end of the scale, the bottom, at 1.8 shots per second.

I've never looked at paintball guns so I did some quick google searching and it seems that they operate from 5 to 6 shots per second as a minimum and up to 30+ shots per second if you pour money at it.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I've never looked at paintball guns so I did some quick google searching and it seems that they operate from 5 to 6 shots per second as a minimum and up to 30+ shots per second if you pour money at it.
Who knew, LOL paint ball.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “The Shooting Range”