Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New bullet for my Mosins

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Sweet load. Thanks for sharing.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

r762, I meant to ask you what velocity your 34.0-grain load of H4895 is producing. My guess is 1875 to 1900 FPS?

I have a similar bullet from an Accurate mold for my 303 British, the 31-210H, a .314" diameter design.

A fellow that is a fan of my Tumble Lube designs, I believe a Canadian, designed it. It shoots well, but I just couldn't get happy with it. I went back to jacketed bullets as I was getting tired of fiddling with it and moved it back to the project shelf. One thing I learned casting this long projectile, was to let it cool a bit before the water quench as the bullets were bending when they hit the water!

Michael
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

I'm not sure what the velocity is with the 34 gr. load. I had previously shot some test rds. with 32 and 33 gr. but they barely sealed the case neck so I stepped the load up to 34 grs. and found a good load. I plan to load up another batch of the 34 gr. load and put it over the chrono in a couple weeks to get some numbers and I will be loading up a small batch with 35.0 and 36.0 grs. as well, the 34.0 gr. load is only around 82% load density. I want to push the bullet as close to 2K fps. or as fast as I can and still hold accuracy, I may already be close but I think I still have room to go.

I'm basically using 220 jacketed bullet data with the 215 gr. cast load so I'm just working it up slowly as I have no software to predict any results. The cases on the 34 gr. loads sealed just fine at the neck and shoulder and the primers looked normal with no signs of pressure.

As to your bullets bending when they hit the water I heard of that happening, I cast a batch that were too soft and had them bend when I tried to lubesize and check them in the RCBS so I ended up sizing them with my Lee push through sizer.

If you want to quench those bullet get yourself a wire or metal basket that has lots of holes in it similar to one found in a deep fryer that will fit in a toaster oven. Heat treat your bullets at 400 degrees for around an hour and just dip the entire basket of bullets in a bucket or deep pan of water, that should take care of the bending bullet problem. You may want to consider sizing the bullets before hand if you going to have to size them down much.

That's a nice looking bullet for the 303, I bet that big FN bullet would bust a pig or deer pretty good.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

reloader762 wrote:If you want to quench those bullet get yourself a wire or metal basket that has lots of holes in it similar to one found in a deep fryer that will fit in a toaster oven. Heat treat your bullets at 400 degrees for around an hour and just dip the entire basket of bullets in a bucket or deep pan of water, that should take care of the bending bullet problem. You may want to consider sizing the bullets before hand if you going to have to size them down much.

That's a nice looking bullet for the 303, I bet that big FN bullet would bust a pig or deer pretty good.
I spent about a year trying the oven roasting and water quenching, and it's a tough sell for me based on the time and other factors. I documented it a couple of topics, titled something along the lines of "Curing the 30 Caliber Blues..."

What I ended up doing is just waiting for a two count after mold blocks open and letting them fall and that ended the issue.

I spent a bunch of time over the last two and a half years working with cast bullets in all my 30 caliber rifles:
  • 30-30 Win (5)
  • 300 Savage (2)
  • 308 Win (2)
  • 303 British (2)
  • and 7.62x39.
Making them shoot like the first or last in that list is easy, but if you want them to have performance that is unique to the cartridge, it probably is not going to happen. Unfortunately, all on my list except the 30-30 Wins are short necks which adds to the complications. In that I already have seven shooting like 30-30s, I don't want the other six to mirror them, so I've gone back to jacketed bullets with them.

I'm probably going to pull one 30-30 Win, the Rio Grande, and have it rechambered to 30-30 Ackley Improved. I had one at one time but was so focused on cast bullets with it that I could not take advantage of the performance gains it overs with lighter jacketed bullets.
Michael
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

After I get the 54r rifle worked out I'm going to start on my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. I've already have a couple loads that shoot better than me, but they are just of moderate velocity in the 1600+ fps. range using the Lee 150 gr. RNFP 30-30 bullet and the Lee 160 gr. TL bullet designed for the 7.62 x 39 that I size down to .311"

The Sav. has a 1:12 twist groove bore, so I can get the velocity up higher while keeping the RPM's low which helps keep the bullet more stable. I have a few different bullets to play around with but that's a project for later on in the year.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht

Return to “The Shooting Range”