480 Ruger w/ 375RD and 2400

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

480 Ruger w/ 375RD and 2400

Post by 357cyrus »

Today I finally got a chance to test out my handloads for the Rossi 92 I picked up this past winter. Being my first casting project, its been a long drawn out process, but I've learned a lot thanks to you guys. I'm happy with the results and ready to hit the woods! This gun and ammo will be used in the Allegheny national forest this November to stalk black bears. Although, I didn't achieve top velocity I found recommended for this combination, I still feel its plenty adequate as the energy surpasses that of a 12 gauge w/ one ounce slugs at about 15yrd due to aerodynamics. At 100yrd it still has more energy than the hottest 44 magnum out of handgun. I was also pretty pleased with the way it grouped at 25yrd with iron sights of the bench. The black circle on the target is the size of a quarter. Gotta run for now. Here are the results.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 480 Ruger w/ 375RD and 2400

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice work Cyrus! I think this this is one awesome rifle!
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 480 Ruger w/ 375RD and 2400

Post by 357cyrus »

You're not alone! I can't think of a firearm Id rather own to chase down large black bears in gnarly PA terrain. 11 rounds of that massive bullet, a light handy rifle, and no scope to worry about bouncing around the endless rocks, fallen trees, and brush that you've got to navigate.
Eventually I will recheck that last powder charge. Something just seems fishy. A half grain of 2400 and no increase in velocity. No signs of pressure.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***

Return to “The Shooting Range”