H&R Slug hunter fun at the range not more inside

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Harleydoc
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

H&R Slug hunter fun at the range not more inside

Post by Harleydoc »

Well today I took my H&R slug hunter 12ga to the range let me tell you this gun kicks like 20 mules I shot it 5 time trying to zero my Nikon slug hunter scope in then I gave it to my buddy he shot it one time then on the 7th shot he looked down the scope and the scope had exploded now this was a band new scope so after this betting I took and the scope took I call Nikon they said send it back and I took my self to the local pawn shop and traded this gun in on a savage 220f I am done with this mule lol... Can't wait to shoot the savage tomorrow with my new Leupold scope. Just had to share about the H&R
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: H&R Slug hunter fun at the range not more inside

Post by Ranch Dog »

Whew... sounds brutal! I'm just waiting for some wads to ship so I can load my home cast Lee slugs for my Rossi Slug Gun.

Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I hate admitting that I weenie out but I just shoot hard mule kicking stuff like that with a shoulder pad. I like ripping through a box of surplus 8mm Mauser and there is almost always someone with a smarmy comment about the pad. I just hand them the rifle and let them fire it a few times oly to have it handed back before it's empty. No, no, finish it off, I loaded 8 of them for you, oh what's that, no thanks? Yup.
Harleydoc

Post by Harleydoc »

RD is was a beating to say the least. How you like that Ross it looks about like the H&R. I want to try my hand in slug reloading now but I have no clue on home to roll crimp but I may try it out if I can find the same slugs that are in the rem ACCu tips
Harleydoc

Post by Harleydoc »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I hate admitting that I weenie out but I just shoot hard mule kicking stuff like that with a shoulder pad. I like ripping through a box of surplus 8mm Mauser and there is almost always someone with a smarmy comment about the pad. I just hand them the rifle and let them fire it a few times oly to have it handed back before it's empty. No, no, finish it off, I loaded 8 of them for you, oh what's that, no thanks? Yup.
I have no problem shooting a mule kicking lol... But when the gun just blowed up a brand spanking new Nikon scope it was time for a change lol... So as of last night I am a owner of a savage 220 taking it to the range today.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Oops!!! I read Savage 220 and thought you bought a Savage chambered in .220 Swift or something.... :oops:

A quick Google search tells me that Savage has a model 220 that is a bolt action 20 gauge with what looks like nearly an inch thick rubber pad on it. I hope for you that this one doesn't rattle your next scope to parts.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Harleydoc wrote:How you like that Ross it looks about like the H&R. I want to try my hand in slug reloading now but I have no clue on home to roll crimp but I may try it out if I can find the same slugs that are in the rem ACCu tips
Don't know yet, waiting on my components that are supposed to ship on the 18th.
Harleydoc wrote:I want to try my hand in slug reloading now but I have no clue on home to roll crimp but I may try it out if I can find the same slugs that are in the rem ACCu tips
The Lee slugs are dependent on trap wads that function as a sabot. From everything that I've read, their needs are very specific; the use of pure lead is a must so that the greater diameter is .681" and that specific wads be used with specific hulls. The height of the components with the hull is important but so is the greater diameter of slug + wad thickness + hull thickness. In that the slug is contained within the trap wad, a star crimp is used rather than a roll crimp. I will use my Load-All press.
Michael
Harleydoc

Post by Harleydoc »

So as everyone tells me don't give up so now new scope and some extra high rings so I can get where I feel good on holding this mule us it will he a few days before the gun smith as my 220 all ready to good with glass beading and all that stuff. So he is a new pic of the H&R
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382317757.619667.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is the way to go! Appropriate accent in the back! A pumpkin for the pumpkin chunker!
Michael
Harleydoc

Post by Harleydoc »

I hope to be chunking lead at some hogs some Wednesday we only get 4 days a year to hunt hog at the public land here but we can shot deer these four days as well I just hope I can get the spot I want to hunt then and see something.

Return to “The Shooting Range”