Trail Boss, Cast and Varget 303B 6.5X55 Final Load Proofing

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Trail Boss, Cast and Varget 303B 6.5X55 Final Load Proof

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:With moving that much brass around my concern would be case head separations. I have a 6.5-06 that I have to keep careful watch on. With it I get the best case life by just barely kissing the shoulder and sticking to Winchester or Federal brass. I do plan to try some PPU brass for the next cases I make up.

Make smoke,
You are absolutely right about that and checking the interior side walls with a wire is part of case prep. The thing in the 303 British's favor is that it is a fairly low-pressure cartridge, 49.0K PSI. Honestly, my bolt gets tough to open at 47.0K PSI with both of my Sporters.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My single 303 is a late war or just post war Lithgow Arsenal that I really need to shot mor often. The lever guns keep winking at me :D .

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:My single 303 is a late war or just post war Lithgow Arsenal that I really need to shot mor often. The lever guns keep winking at me :D .
I hear you and understand as I do love my levers. I could dig a Win 1895 chambered in 303 British if it weren't for the price!
Win_1895_303British.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

That would be a prize.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

How about an Win1895 sold to Russia, in 7.62x54R with Spanish Republican markings. Have only seen one an d that was at a gun show in Vegas. This is from the web.
9096393.jpg
With respect to case head separation I check every case after cleaning and or before reloading. I am still on the fence with respect to re-chambering to the Epps wildcat. It reduces the length of the chamber and increases the angle on the shoulder. With careful neck sizing I have been told it will provide improved brass life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Macd wrote:How about an Win1895 sold to Russia, in 7.62x54R with Spanish Republican markings. Have only seen one an d that was at a gun show in Vegas. This is from the web.
9096393.jpg
With respect to case head separation I check every case after cleaning and or before reloading. I am still on the fence with respect to re-chambering to the Epps wildcat. It reduces the length of the chamber and increases the angle on the shoulder. With careful neck sizing I have been told it will provide improved brass life.
Now that's one I wish I had bought when I was a kid when they were cheaper.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, time flies when you are having fun! I turned by brass around today, it is starting its 12th cycle! I'm glad I keep a card with every bag! Today, I deprimed, cleaned, and annealed the brass. It is in the dryer now, need to go out and turn it off.
brass_annealing.jpg
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I love this thread. Very nice annealing machine too. I have new loads made with the Hybrid 100V and Winchester primers. I also have a few 7.62x54R cartridges I am going to try trail boss in with the lead bullets. When I get into the local gun club it will be March. I am not certain my patience to test these loads is that strong. If the weather is nice I may have to make the trek to public range that is over an hour away and costs too much $$$$ to use. I really want to see how the Speer 180 works with the new primers and the Hybrid 100V. I am also looking for a different FMJ bullet to load for different options.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

Macd, the Swedish Mauser load is FANTASTIC, nice shooting too.
Ranch Dog, I like the cork bedding too. I used to be involved with a lot of old military rifles and the two things people used most for bedding actions that would not hurt the 'Historical Value' of the rifles was cork and felt. I am planning on using some felt on two of my rifles this week to tighten up the actions. Cut strips just like the cork and place them in there. I have seen barrels wrapped in felt too and then stocked up. It is something you just tinker with a little and it can make a nice difference. Easy to take out later too if needed. You guys are awesome. This forum always makes my day brighter.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The cast bullet shooting with my 303 Brit has not panned out as I expected. I've thrown in the towel and will just shoot cast jacketed bullets.
Michael

Return to “The Shooting Range”