Steel Challenge Match

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Steel Challenge Match

Post by Macd »

Going to shoot the first match of the season on this Tuesday. Usually I would opt for a 9mm or 45 ACP but this time I am going to go with a S&W M&P10-5 revolver in 38 Spl with 158 grain lead RN. The disadvantages are only having 6 rounds for five targets and my poor old eyes. The advantage is this revolver shoots like it is an extension of my arm. I will be using a Safari Land police surplus holster. I have speed loaders but I just don't have the dexterity to use them without risking dropping the odd round.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Steel Challenge Match

Post by larryw »

Best of luck.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Sounds like fun. Good luck, give us a report when you're finished.
+corn
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck, I bet you will do well!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Did okay (wasn't last) but hope my new prescription glasses come in soon :cry: . The shoot is 5 strings on 5 targets and then the same on a second (different set-up) target stage. Lowest time wins. The worst time is dropped for each stage so time is best eight strings. There is no limit on shots fired but obviously one shot per target gives best time. You must hit each target even if this means reloading. There is a pause between each string to allow for changing your mag to a full one for the next string. Targets are a variety of square and round of various sizes and placed from 11 to 15 meters from firing box. You start each string with your hands next to your ears (surrender position) and on the timer beep, draw and fire. I was firing a revolver which means only one miss per string or I had to stop to reload while the clock is running. Firing single action I was okay but this is slow. Double action was quicker but I had several double misses which really hurt. It was 4-5 Celsius and a brisk wind was blowing. Trying to use a speed loader with cold, arthritic fingers was comical. I might as well have been wearing mittens. Next meet I am going back to my 9mm.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

It would be tough to compete in a timed event with a revolver vs. semi-autos. Just curious, are you pulling speed loaders from pouches or pocket?

There is no local place to compete, but I sure would like to. The only revolver I have now is a Rossi 351, 5-shot 38 Spl. I use the MaxFire speed loaders. I find them fast and always indexed properly from the double MaxFire pouch. I use a Ross Leather (South Africa) leather slide holster. I do conceal carry the revolver quite a bit, always with the double loader pouch. Actually never carry anything without double magazines on the support side.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Speed loaders are from my pocket as the flaps on my Safari Land pouch are stiff. The loaders are also Safari Land and indexed for the S&W 10 perfectly. My normal IPSC rig is the M&P9 with a Kydex holster and 4 spare mages on the back, left side. You can load from a pocket for the first mag as you draw with a loaded mag. Loading between strings is not part of the timing. Changing mags in the middle of a string is unusual except if you have to clear a jam. It is usually faster to drop the mag, pull back the slide and let the jammed round fall out. It also is safer than fiddling with the pistol at the firing line. If the jam requires additional attention then you can declare that string as your worst. If you haven't finished your stage you can finish strings not shot at the end of the rotation of shooters.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

There a JM Model ?25 S&W in 45 ACP that fixes the speed loader problems . I saw where there's a guy that can run 12 rounds on target with one in under 3 seconds .
Jerry Miculik (SP) :) . Like nobody ever heard of him before .

Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

RBHarter wrote:There a JM Model ?25 S&W in 45 ACP that fixes the speed loader problems . I saw where there's a guy that can run 12 rounds on target with one in under 3 seconds .
Jerry Miculik (SP) :) . Like nobody ever heard of him before .

Just a normal guy you meet at the range eh? +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I suspect it happens more often than you'd think .
The JM 625 (I think that's right) is basically a custom shop build of his gun . You'd be surprised by how fast the full moon is to dump and load . The "average Joe " could probably get it down to 4 seconds pretty easy . I haven't tried it with the old 1917 but it's pretty fast and there's nothing to fool with after 2-3 of the bullets hit the chambers , with full moons anyway .
A nice 2R RN with no shoulder and a hard taper crimp would slick things up some too .

I fondled one of the JM S&Ws and 4.5-5.5# double action , trigger target shoe ........if it weren't for the N frame weight , which is also addressed , you really wouldn't know you were shooting a tank . I didn't get to feed it or shoot it which I wish they had had a set up for snap caps in moon clips it was easy to see and feel where time would be gained .......cut ?.......with the set up ........$1200 was a little steep for me as a casual shooter but I can see where it would be a worthy buy for someone in the games .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “The Shooting Range”