Chronograph Tripod

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Chronograph Tripod

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought you guys might be able to help me with the kind of tripod I'm searching for. I'm not interested in a standard tripod with the adjustable head and removable shoe plate for mounting either my Labradar or Caldwell Chrono. With our constant winds, that adjustable head always cracks. I have some pretty nice tripods, three of them, but when you put the heavy Labradar or even the Calwell unit against our typical winds (16 to 22 mph), these adjustable heads just do not hold up.

Since I started using the Caldwell Target Cam, I figured out I do not need the WiFi repeater antenna on my 300-yard range, so I'm using its antenna stand successfully with the Labradar.

The antenna stand has a fixed, threaded stud that serves as the attach point which has worked great for the Labradar. The only problem is that the legs of the antenna stand are fixed, and the Labradar needs to sight directing at the target, so I have to shim the legs to accomplish that as they are fixed.

I would like to find an adjustable leg tripod with the fixed, threaded stud mount, but all my Google searches have come up empty. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for? In miniature, here is the tripod that I use with my Caldwell Wind Meter. It sits on my shooting bench.

I have found some fixed, threaded studs but they are shoe mounted so that is no resolve for the problems I've been experienced over the years. I want the adjustable shoe gone. I have three tripods sitting here representing about $500 and all three are cracked where they rotate fore and aft. Plastic, aluminum, and so type of carbon fiber. They just cannot handle the weight/mass and wind.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Chronograph Tripod

Post by Macd »

You may want to consider a surveyors tripod with a head adapter that will fit the standard camera tripod thread. They are much heavier built than a camera tripod especially the fibreglass models. This site gives a good selection with a wide price range and has the adapters.
https://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-tripods.aspx
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

as a surveyor myself, I have quite a bit of usable hardware. Several years ago when I bought my F1 Chrony, the need for a suitable tripod and mount came up. I had available a very portable tripod that is built to insert/hold a pole (for either sight target or GPS unit mounting). The tube type legs are extendable and the "feet" have replaceable points to firmly punch into the ground. For the chrony mount to fit the place for the normal "pole" in the tripod, I just picked up a few pieces of small hardware and threw it together. All in all, I say it's pretty stable.

If there's any interest, I can take a couple of pictures and make a bit better description.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great replies guys, thanks. I found some very good prices surveyor tripods. The description includes "Its flat head easily accommodates most instruments via the 5/8-inch X 11 threading." What else would I need to mount the chronograph to the head?

I also haven't been to the Labradar site lately, they now have a different tripod that looks as though it will work.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Michael

Before I take pictures and describe the simple parts construction of my set up, I need to know what threads you need to make direct connection to the Labrador. Mine (just plain old Chrony F1) uses standard camera type tripod threaded rod.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Michael

Before I take pictures and describe the simple parts construction of my set up, I need to know what threads you need to make direct connection to the Labrador. Mine (just plain old Chrony F1) uses standard camera type tripod threaded rod.

jd
I appreciate the effort JD, but I went ahead and bought the Labradar tripod this afternoon. Seemed the easiest.

Oh, treads are standard camera.
Michael

Return to “The Shooting Range”