You Ever Just Not Have Fun On Range Day?

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: You Ever Just Not Have Fun On Range Day?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Load development day for the Savage 340C .222Rem...

First day out with the chrono. It was tested at home with NERF darts but wouldn't respond on the first trip the field. Also had major issues with the gun. Stiff bolt handle to chamber, stiff to extract, cratered primers, etc.

I never shot the gun again as it has headspace problems. The chrono was exchanged no questions and the new one hasn't ever been set up. That has to have been more than two years ago.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

All that sucks just as much and caused me to realize that I forgot about the Labradar. I know that it is the supposed to be the cat's meow, but it can have problems like any other. I got within a trigger pull of shooting it in the face. It never recorded a shot with the 30 Carbine and dropped a couple of shots with the 35-30. I'm not calling Labradar anymore about it as all they tell you to do is tap the edge of the case with a screwdriver and if it attempts to record a shot, it is good. I don't even bother with it when shooting pistols as it captures less than 10% of the shots. I use my Caldwell Ballistic Precision more than I do the Labradar now.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Load development day for the Savage 340C .222Rem...

First day out with the chrono. It was tested at home with NERF darts but wouldn't respond on the first trip the field. Also had major issues with the gun. Stiff bolt handle to chamber, stiff to extract, cratered primers, etc.

I never shot the gun again as it has headspace problems. The chrono was exchanged no questions and the new one hasn't ever been set up. That has to have been more than two years ago.
The 340 is the first Savage with a barrel nut, someone probably messed with it. For the cost of a field gauge, you could probably correct it. You might be able to rent a complete set of gauges as well.

Which chronograph did you buy?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

RD that makes me sad to hear about the Labradar and at the same time better about Chrony's . Must be why those writters shoot so much .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:RD that makes me sad to hear about the Labradar and at the same time better about Chrony's . Must be why those writters shoot so much .
Tell me about it. My original idea with it was that I would record everything and sort out what I needed, but I don't even take it up to the range now. If I'm very serious about capturing the data, like in a few minutes, I take the Caldwell. I've questioned it on some forums and get a bunch of hate in return. At its price point, I think some, like myself, keep after it more than they would something cheaper. Either that or they don't shoot a lot. It has recorded fewer shots than it has missed. It has been a huge disappointment, and I will probably get rid of it.

Google "problems with labradar" and you will get 19,000+ results. I consider that awful given the low number of units out there.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Old Scribe wrote:"Seems like some days I jes can't see the target..."

My 72 year old eyes trick me more often even with a scope (at times). Then there are times when shooting off hand I can't seem to get a good hold for the wobbles; time to pack up and try another day!
Yep, at 72 (me too) some things start to go south! I got a Garand that I really like to shoot, but many times the front sight disappears when I try to see it through the peep rear... :lol:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:The 340 is the first Savage with a barrel nut, someone probably messed with it. For the cost of a field gauge, you could probably correct it. You might be able to rent a complete set of gauges as well.

Which chronograph did you buy?
I think it was built that way but who knows. I think it's from 1961 and the stock has been relieved to be able to close the bolt handle. My Dad is the second owner. The first was my deceased Great Uncle who likely relieved it to close and when he could get no accuracy, stopped using it. It has the old style nut and a side scope mount that required the stock to be relieved there as well.

I have a Caldwell chronograph that's new old stock I guess at this point. It's like this one at MidwayUSA. I paid $89 + free shipping during a Holiday promo.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I have a Caldwell chronograph that's new old stock I guess at this point. It's like this one at MidwayUSA. I paid $89 + free shipping during a Holiday promo.
That is the chronograph I used today. It recorded 100% of my shots and the Labradar none. Of course, it's tough to record a shot when it is sitting on a shelf. I've pretty much given up on it. I will list it on eBay when I have the time. I also have an F1 and CED that I need to sell. Don't even know where they are off hand.

I've been thinking about buying the big brother of our chronograph, the "G2". Its on sale right now, I wish they sold it without the cheap tripod. The major difference with the G2 is that you get Bluetooth and good battery power.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I saw the G2 when I looked up the link. I'm not yet enamored with Bluetooth (BluRay is great though).

To render myself explicit, Midway sent me an entirely new COMPLETE set up when the first one failed. They did this at no charge and did not require the old one to be returned. Furthermore, they confirmed the original was a factory repaired unit (more specifically had a QC failure at packaging and was sent back through for repair and another round of QC) so I'm not mad at them.

I have very limited chances to shoot so with all the packing and driving I just don't feel like taking it out. Besides taking out the Evil Roy for 50 rounds with no prep, I haven't shot anything since probably Thanksgiving.....except maybe a flip I function checked at the same place where there is no set up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I swear you can not make this stuff up! Went out this morning to test a small variation of 35-30 load. Had a flier (target cam) without the Calwell Ballistic Pro recording the velocity (app). Looked out at the chronograph...

Son of A Biscuit! Gas check departed bullet severing power cord to LED bars! There is also a small fragment of the check embedded in the aft screen leading edge.
Michael

Return to “The Shooting Range”