Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Warm day at the range

Post by Steve »

Spent 1/2 the day at the range today. And it was warm......... Finally! +guns
I has seemed like winter won't let go here, the forcast sounds like now it's finally bit the dust.
I put a new regulator on our air operated rotating targets. Swapped some lies with a few people, then got some shooting in, even ran the LE course 3 times, scored 96 - 98 - 96. not too bad but I need to work on my shooting with support hand only, and I was not pleased with my group size. But for defense purposes I'm doing ok.

Fired a few carry rounds from 15 yards just to boost my confidence in them. At a buck and a half a shot I don't shoot many of them. The KaBoom when I fired the Hornady Critical Duty is almost spooky... They are a powerful round.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Warm day at the range

Post by 62chevy »

Went to the range Friday and the Wife and I where the only ones there until just before we left so didn't get to swap any lies with anyone. Still we had a good time until the new comer went down range with out saying any thing I wasn't shooting but reloading my mags still he could have said something. When he got back I shouted going down range and made him wait while I fiddled with my target. It worked to because I had shot my last rounds and he shouted Ok to go down range. :lol:
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

That's a problem you run into at public ranges. Good part is he knows now.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to see you guys to the North getting out. Down here in South Texas we have been abnormally cool. Usually by this time of the year it is too hot to shoot at midday.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:Good to see you guys to the North getting out. Down here in South Texas we have been abnormally cool. Usually by this time of the year it is too hot to shoot at midday.

Love the attitude Texans have just not the weather. :lol:
Je suis Charlie
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
The clouds are gone from here and our weather bacvk to normqal.. Very dry, 70-75 and all day sun for the next 7 months. Only thing I can complain about is the dust at my canyon range. But here the dust is everywhere. Only time I have "other shooters" is when we take the jeep up and Iexplain the simple safety rules on the way.
Mike in Peru
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

On Sunday morning I took a 2 hours drive to a cowboy action shooter friend, to buy his fully tuned Winchester 1897 replica. Then I went to the range, to shoot a .22lr "mail-order match" some friends have been doing for a couple of years and to have some CAS training, indroducing a bunch of interested people to the sports o cowboy action shooting, and of course try my new acquisition.

The new shotgun is great, the 1897 is just so much fun, you don't want to stop shooting.

Of the four guests, all head great fun with my peacemakers, Winchester 66 and my old double barreled shotgun (she's turning 100 this year).

Just that stupid .22 match was a bugger. Don't know what happened, didn't even hit the paper with every shot.

But by the way: do you guys know "mail order matches" (don't know a better word)? It's quite common in the internet gun community in Germany. First, all agree to a specific set of rules (which gun, caliber, sights, distance, shooting position, ...). Then someone creates a nice target and prints that on a special paper, and mails them to all other shooters (that's why the name). They have time to shoot the targets until an agreed date, and send them back. Then the ranking is created and posted on the web. In our small match, we even have a trophy. A small one, that will be mailed to the winner of that year, by the winner of the previous year. And the last will receive a "red lantern".
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:On Sunday morning I took a 2 hours drive to a cowboy action shooter friend, to buy his fully tuned Winchester 1897 replica. Then I went to the range, to shoot a .22lr "mail-order match" some friends have been doing for a couple of years and to have some CAS training, indroducing a bunch of interested people to the sports o cowboy action shooting, and of course try my new acquisition.

The new shotgun is great, the 1897 is just so much fun, you don't want to stop shooting.

Of the four guests, all head great fun with my peacemakers, Winchester 66 and my old double barreled shotgun (she's turning 100 this year).

Just that stupid .22 match was a bugger. Don't know what happened, didn't even hit the paper with every shot.
Wow, a full day of gun buying and shooting. It would be hard beat that. Are you going to get a Load-All for that shotgun :?: ;)
Fyodor wrote:But by the way: do you guys know "mail order matches" (don't know a better word)? It's quite common in the internet gun community in Germany. First, all agree to a specific set of rules (which gun, caliber, sights, distance, shooting position, ...). Then someone creates a nice target and prints that on a special paper, and mails them to all other shooters (that's why the name). They have time to shoot the targets until an agreed date, and send them back. Then the ranking is created and posted on the web. In our small match, we even have a trophy. A small one, that will be mailed to the winner of that year, by the winner of the previous year. And the last will receive a "red lantern".
They are called "Postal Matches" in the US and at one time were quite popular. I started a ran one for leverguns on ShootersForum.com and it spread to Marlinowners.com. It started with shooting at a post card (3"x5") for the first year and moved on to regular targets. Ended up with several categories of shooters and firearms. Place holders received an avatar for use on the forum, it was a big deal. I was able to arrange a huge amount of supplies but they were sent out on a via a drawing with each target submitted being a chance to win one of the prizes. I gave away just about every type of firearm related item. I personally donated a hog hunt here in Texas and believe it or not one of the most sought after prizes was a pound of Yaucono coffee! A shooter from Puerto Rico donated ten, one pound bags every year and it was very addictive if you ever drank it.
yaucono_puerto_rico_coffee__51832_zoom.jpg
Our Steelbanger sent me a pound for my birthday last October, quite a gift. It brought back years of memories. I believe the postal match might still be a annual event.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Ranch Dog wrote: Wow, a full day of gun buying and shooting. It would be hard beat that. Are you going to get a Load-All for that shotgun :?: ;)
Yes, it was a very nice day. I hope to repeat it soon :D
RanchDog wrote:a pound of Yaucono coffee! A shooter from Puerto Rico donated ten, one pound bags every year and it was very addictive if you ever drank it.
Oh, good coffee does make addictive. There is a small roasting company close to my workplace, who make really good coffee. And I found one in Dresden, Germany, called "Phönix" that was so small, that four people would make that place overcrowded! But he made the best coffee I ever had. When he wasn't satisfied with the picture he poured into the crema, he threw it away and did it again! He's a maniac, and a perfectionist, but you're entering another world when you go have your coffee there. And you might completely forget about time.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “The Shooting Range”