Range trip early

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Range trip early

Post by Steve »

Got up early and went to the range to beat the wind, temperature, and insects. Forgot the ammo I loaded for a fellow that met me there, soooo went back home to get it and one hour later we were ready to shoot.

I had the stock off my Remington SPSV to checkout the trigger so I wanted to make sure it was zeroed after putting it back together. It is a Houge stock with the full length bedding. This stock made this into a real rifle. The 5 shot group shown below is it's favorite ammo, this rifle just eats this stuff up. I'm going to blame the 1 wild shot on a very loud band playing half the night that robbed me of the sleep I needed.

This IMR 8208 XBR powder seems to be performing in a wide range of temperatures, just like they advertise. I have let some lay in the hot sun, and kept others in the shade, fired them with no diference in acuracy. The bullets are Sierra varmint 60 grain HP.

The rifle is capable of this at 100 yards all the time........ Unfortunately I'm not.
60grSierra.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Range trip early

Post by 62chevy »

Got to love CRS, can't remember stuff, happens to me all the time.

Nice shooting Steve.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Good work how is the cold shot from the bore? I always have my cold shot a tad high in my .308 ling distance plan but all follow ups stay tight only .25 aninch at 600 yards on coldbore the rest on the bench are within 3.75" tight
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:Good work how is the cold shot from the bore? I always have my cold shot a tad high in my .308 ling distance plan but all follow ups stay tight only .25 aninch at 600 yards on coldbore the rest on the bench are within 3.75" tight
This was first group fired from the cold clean barrel. I made 1 click left adjustment from this group.
ColdCleanGroup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice shootings. At least it was only an hour turnaround, I've had to go further!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I've shot groups like those....... I just can't get the powder burns of the targets. +guns

Nice shooting .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Not bad for the the cold shot. Great work
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:Not bad for the the cold shot. Great work
I think this IMR 8208 XBR powder is the key to that cold & clean first group. I have a load for this same bullet with Acurate 2230 It shoots nearly as well, but can't get good groups out of a clean barrel with it.

When I went out to bushwhack some critter with the 2230 powder, I fired a few shots before getting to the area so I would have a fouled barrel and acurate shot on the hunt.
Steve

Post by Steve »

+guns I just came back from the sporting goods store with a new 8 pound container of IMR 8208 XBR. I should go buy lotery tickets. I was woried I would not see more of this powder for a long time.

Even got an instructor discount, so the price I paid was resonable, and I'm happy. +guns I will send them more business to repay the kindness.
Steve

Post by Steve »

This is the next one I'm heading to the range with. I have it setup exactly like the SPSV. Same triger adjustments, same scope, same bases, same rings, same stock. They feel exactly the same to shoot off a rest. This one is a VTR in 223. My picture taking today was not the best. This is rifle I usually pick up to go plaster something.

VTR 1
VTR.jpg
VTR barrel. The shape is supposed to make it more ridged and help cooling. Odley enough it will shoot (for me) as well as the 26" heavy barrel on the SPSV.
VTR2.jpg
Muzzel break. Really works, keeps barrel down so you don't miss seeing the praire dogs blow up.
VTRmuz.jpg

Return to “The Shooting Range”