Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Range trip early

Post by mr surveyor »

very nice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I have always wondered how those triangle barrels trasmit harmonics. Thus accuracy def. Keep us posted it looks like a rifle from the future i wonder how hard it would be to thread a barrel like that. I see the comp slashes def. Report back.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:I have always wondered how those triangle barrels trasmit harmonics. Thus accuracy def. Keep us posted it looks like a rifle from the future i wonder how hard it would be to thread a barrel like that. I see the comp slashes def. Report back.
Yep I'll show you the results after the trip to check zero. (I had this one apart too) I used both rifles in South Dakota shooting prairie dogs a couple years ago. They both shot very well at long ranges. The SPS has 1-12 twist and the VTR has 1-9 twist. They each have their best shooting bullet plus they both shoot a couple other loads with Varmint Nightmare bullets good enough to take varmints at a couple hundred yards.

I'll post the results good or bad, Just have to catch a good morning. The other day with the SPSV the wind was calm. I'm hoping for the same with the VTR.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Got up at 5, was on the range with the VTR by 6:15, and so were the gnats. They were bad, so I huried things, sprayed sticky bug repelent on everything, so I got by. These are fired at 100 yards.

This is a picture of all the good, bad, and the ugly different rounds I tried this morning. This rifle did need zeroed, target sheet, upper left shows that. Used random loads got it close. The last 2 bulls eyes at bottom right are in the next picture and are the ones that are the load for this rifle. The rifle didn't get to fire cold shots untill the last group of 5. It never got too hot to hold the barrel. (like I said, I hurried because of the gnats)
VTRtar1.jpg
These are the last 2 groups fired, they are with 50 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets. The left group is the most interesting. A bench rest shooter told me that I have trouble holding the same pressure against my shoulder, which accounts for the vertical spread. He seems to be right. I called the shot that went slightly right. So this has in the past been the favored load by this rifle, and still is.
The second group is loaded in random cases and the wind came up. The gnats didn't like it, but it felt good to me. The wind was varing a little pushing shots left. But the group tells me this load with random cassings will work fine for praire dogs out to a couple hundred yards or so. My opinion of the barrel shape and the built in muzzle break Is that Remington is on to a good idea. I hesitated buying it because it looked too star wars like, but I'm glad I got it. Benefits are lighter weight, holds acuracy as it warms up, muzzel break works great. Both rifles, VTR and SPS needed the replacement stocks to perform well.
VTRtar2.jpg
The squares on the targets are 1 inch I zero with the crosshares in the center of the box. With bullet impact close to 1 inch below aim point. This way I always hold the crosshair on the top edge of the varmint and let gravity take care of my elevation at changing ranges. Hope that makes sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Looks like the rifle shoots well just gotta get your muscle memory trained to her. I pracrice trigger control and dry fire in various positions as much as I can to help keep myself tuned to my stick laying prone is a prob beens as of lately im bit overweight n my gut gets in the way. Lol good report n shooting looks like a goid stick
Steve

Post by Steve »

akuser47 wrote:Looks like the rifle shoots well just gotta get your muscle memory trained to her. I pracrice trigger control and dry fire in various positions as much as I can to help keep myself tuned to my stick laying prone is a prob beens as of lately im bit overweight n my gut gets in the way. Lol good report n shooting looks like a goid stick
Prone is my worst position do to a screwed up neck and back. So I do some rifle practice standing and sitting. Soon as the gnats die off (they are slacking up a little now) I will be doing most of my rifle practice setting on a small folding camp chair using shooting sticks because that is my prefered position to bushwhack critters. I just use the shooting benches for zeroing, and load test.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

No matter how you shoot dry fire practice will help u gain the memory needed to shot the same everytime. With my gut i need a bipod to keep me from tetering over lol in prone. Lol i kid keep us posted.

Return to “The Shooting Range”