Range day and load testing.

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Range day and load testing.

Post by 62chevy »

The Wife and I went to the range for the 4th of July celebrations. Gorgeous day no clouds and only in the mid 70s. The only problem was it was crowded but that worked out as the guy next to me was shooting a 300 Win Mag and I got to score 9 pieces of brass, he didn't reload but did complain about the price of ammo. Told him I reloaded and would put them to good use.

Now for the load testing for my .380 and 45 acp. Loaded 5 each at 2.4 gr of TG through 2.8 gr for the 380. The 2.4 load had one stove pipe as did the 2.7 gr load ?!? The 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 all ruined the case rim, again not sure why but think the extractor may be at fault. The 2.7 and 2.8 were pretty stout and not what I was wanting. The 380 is a Cobra CA 380 and being 100 bucks new is well cheaply done and after about 75 rounds is looking quit worn in the inside. Guess it's time to buy a better 380, lol.

My Hi-Point on the other hand worked flawless. Made load of BE from 3.9 down to 3.5 my target load. Starting with the 3.9 and working down, what can I say but every load work great and accurate too unlike the .380 that was all over the paper.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Range day and load testing.

Post by Steve »

Sounds like a good day to me. It would take away some of the fun if finding that magic load for every gun was easy.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds like a great day. Also be careful with those cheaper pistols Ive had two raven p25 one was fine the other had issue chambering and ejecting I had found a crack in the frame that was flexing causeing the slide to bind up.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I'm thinking the extractor is bent. The stamped sheet metal for the trigger was all bent and deformed after about 75 rounds so maybe the extractor is too. Hard to say till I get it out and to do that I need smaller punches.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “The Shooting Range”