30-40 Krag and cast bullets.

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
dromia
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

30-40 Krag and cast bullets.

Post by dromia »

I have been taking advantage of the gloriously fine weather we have been having over the Bank Holiday to catch up on my back log of load development projects.

One of them has been to get my 30-40 Springfield Krag Jorgensen shooting. The rifle has been in the racks for few months now and this had been my first chance to shoot it after taking an impact cast of the chamber and slugging the barrel

Been testing a load and took some photos to share.

New Remington brass just neck expanded to take a NOE 311 175Gr FN, sized to 0.311" weighing 180 gn lubed and checked over 22gns of Ramshot Enforcer.

This boolit was chosen as it fits the throat well and is seated out to touch the lands.

100 yrds groups were 3" horizontal by 2", which with my eyes and the open issue sights looks very promising.

Velocity was 2016 fps with an extreme spread of 8 fps over 10 rounds

Here are some pictures for your edification and enlightenment.

Sans Peur
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 30-40 Krag and cast bullets.

Post by Ranch Dog »

You really have to like a holiday! Nice pictures, what a beautiful day!

I've devoted the next three days to giving my NIB Savage 110 chambered in 300 Savage (a 1986 rifle) an introduction to cast bullets. I will be using the bullet I developed for the 7.62x39, my TLC313-150-RF, a try. Think I will start with Varget.

I tried to incorporate a couple of small features into this 7.62x39 bullet to accommodate the 300 Savage. The front band was necessary to fill the freebore in the 7.62x39 but it is a tapered band to fit the throat on the 300 Savage. Same with the bore rider nose, it's was cut to a diameter to fit the American manufactured rifles chambered in 7.62x39 that have a .308 groove (Savage 10FCM & early Mini-30). These little details make it a candidate for the 300 Savage as well. The bullet body length matches either cartridge very well as the gas check does not extend beyond the base of the case neck.

The only thing I should have done is make the Micro-Bands deeper for sizing the body down to .311". I forgot to take into consideration that bands tend to fill in with lead during deep sizing, vs. just truing the bullet, almost like swaging a bullet. What I've been doing is just leaving the body at .313". Here is the actual bullet loaded in for the 7.62x39 but try a .312" sizer.

Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

awesome heavy lead
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Nice scale it looks exactly like my Lyman Ohause M3.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
dromia
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by dromia »

It is a Lyman M3.
Sans Peur
Crumb Castle
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Crumb Castle »

dromia wrote:I have been taking advantage of the gloriously fine weather we have been having over the Bank Holiday to catch up on my back log of load development projects.
Thanks for the report! I enjoyed the pictures. Just gotta love those 30-40 Krags. +guns +guns
"Never get up before breakfast. If you have to get up before breakfast, eat breakfast first." - Unknown

"Apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze. "- Unknown

Return to “The Shooting Range”