Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by Poppop »

Hi Guys
I'm looking to get new ear muffs. Lots of chit chat going on while shooting and I don't want to miss any of it, so I'm looking at the Howard Leight Impact Pro (30db NRR rating) .
Does anyone no of any negatives other than size for this model ?
Thanks in advance
Poppop
:D +of
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by 62chevy »

don't know a thing about them but if you do get them please do a review as I could use a pair my self.
Je suis Charlie
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

will do
poppop
MAGA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Please keep us posted.

I've shot with a number of units over the years and my latest, Walkers, are starting to show the use so I just ordered two sets of the Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Muffs. One over the head and the other behind the neck. Essentially they are both the same unit, just the way you wear them is different. The reviews were few on MidwayUSA on both units but both received good reviews on Amazon. The behind the neck was on back order at MidwayUSA but available through Amazon at the same price but I went with the back order as I do not like that Amazon charges Texas sales tax.

I wanted to try the behind the neck devices as all of my handgun shooting is outside of overhead cover and I really like wearing a straw hat to keep that Texas sun off the head, ears, and neck.

The Caldwell products had a couple of features that I wanted based on my experience with these type of units; External access to the batteries and using AAA instead of the wafer type.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Had not thought of the battery type but that is a legitimate concern.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

The old Caldwell monochrome set were very cheap, they did shut down the noise, but were slow to come back on after the shot. Voices were pretty much cartoon quality, battery life was poor.

Walker in the 50 dollar + range work ok. Time to come back on is acceptable, comfort is fair.

Mid priced Peltor. (150 bucks or so) work very well, come back on with little noticeable delay. Sound quality is good, comfortable, good battery life, and reliable.

Pro Ears Gold. (300+ bucks) Excellent sound quality, instant response with no noticeable delay with coming back on. They seem like they just cut back to what you have the volume set at, you don’t miss a word. N size batteries, I use them a lot and only replace batteries about 9 to 12 months, even when left on the computers in them shut down to save battery life. I think they claim 400 hours battery life. I have had them 2+ years, the only weak point I have found is the head band. One broke and one is too loose. They said they have upgraded the head band, time will tell. They are comfortable enough for me to leave them on for several hours at a time.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

The H.L. Impact Pro also use 2-AAA batteries and are changed out externally. They are a bit large but for pistol shooting I don't care.
I'll let you guys know how they perform after I order, receive and try them
Poppop
:D
MAGA
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Steelbanger »

One day long ago I came home from a match with a pair of electronic muffs. I showed them to my late wife and she put her hands on her hips and said "Why don't you just get some hearing aids?". And after years of putting up with my deafness that was all she had to say about my purchase.

Now for the brief report. I actually hated those things. When I am shooting I don't need to hear distracting voices from back of the firing line, people telling jokes, etc. I need my silence to enable me to concentrate. We had one shooter who was very good and his wife, whose voice was quite high and piercing, was always his spotter. I will never forget being in the position next to him and we were both firing at the 200 m rams. After he shot his wife screamed to him "You hit him on the dick Fred". That was another time I asked myself why I ever bought those electronics. Talk about losing your concentration, that was the worst time I ever had holding in my laughter. The asterisk above signifies the nickname often given to folks named Richard. RD's software is alive and well.

I have never again thought of buying a new set and the old ones languish, hanging on a nail in my basement.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I "hear" what you are saying :lol:

Most of my shooting is done solo but I would like to be able to hear if someone needs help and is hollering for me down the hill. The handgun training I do on a semiannual basis requires them and they have to be functional (they check them). As of late, little Noah has been with me on the range if he is home. I need to hear him and everything he is doing!
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ranch Dog wrote:I "hear" what you are saying :lol:

Most of my shooting is done solo but I would like to be able to hear if someone needs help and is hollering for me down the hill. The handgun training I do on a semiannual basis requires them and they have to be functional (they check them). As of late, little Noah has been with me on the range if he is home. I need to hear him and everything he is doing!
Well said RD. For me when on the firing line I want to hear everything. Safetyis #1 when working with new shooters.

Return to “The Shooting Range”