Electronic Hearing Protection

Proofing your loaded ammuntion.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by Fyodor »

When shooting on outdoor ranges, I only use filtered in-ear plugs like musicians use them. They reduce noise enough to be safe and comfortable, even when shooting all day, while not making communication difficult. The filter actually is a very small hole, which lets low noises through, but not high amplitude noise. They work very similar like the electronic ones, but on a mechanical principle. I use them for my cowboy action shooting a lot.

On indoor ranges I still use my Peltor optime III passive protectors. You exit the world with those... or at least you are very far away. I don't like the total isolation you live in when using these super efficient "Mickey-Mouse Ears" either. But electronic protectors are too expensive for me.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Use what you feel protected in that's what matters I grew up shooting .22 no matter the size unprotected. I can still hear I think lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

akuser47 wrote:Use what you feel protected in that's what matters I grew up shooting .22 no matter the size unprotected. I can still hear I think lol

If you are like me then hearing is best done in a dead quit room.

My wife gets mad when I mute the TV and ask her what she said. Half the time she says never mind and rolls her eyes.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I know my hearing is not very good. I will survive. I do wear cheap set of electronic hearing protection or ear plugs whatever works for situation.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ROSW

Post by ROSW »

How did those Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Muffs work out? I've been considering getting a pair for outdoor rifle shooting. The ones I have are always bumping into the stock.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So far do good. The only bench shooting I've done since receiving them is about a dozen shoots from my Rossi Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win. Didn't ever notice them.

Should have a couple days of shooting this week and will report back.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I've been very pleased with the Allen sound Sensor ( http://allencompany.net/safety/sound-se ... -1309.html ) But after 2 years of use I needed foam ear cushions replacements and they tell me they don't supply them. Kind of sad that they don't think parts are important.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I need to retract my last comment about the Allen Company service. Today in the mail I got a total replacement head set of the Allen Sound Sensors, complete with 4 replacement ear cushions! Now How's that for amazing service? I was astonished when the mail arrived today!
Companies like Lee, Dillon and RCBS you kind of expect this service from but today I'll add Allen to that list.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Good to hear daboone.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ROSW wrote:How did those Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Muffs work out? I've been considering getting a pair for outdoor rifle shooting. The ones I have are always bumping into the stock.
Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs.jpg
I did get a good range session in with the Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs on Saturday morning, shooting two leverguns, a Glenfield 30GT chambered in 30-30 Win and a Rossi Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win. I had no issue with the ear pieces contacting the stock and I found them quite comfortable. The noise amplification and suppression is very good. I had to turn the sound down as I could hear my truck's cooling noises quite well. I personally think they work as well as the Walker's set that I used for a decade and a half and they cost significantly less. At the price, I don't think there would be any worry with replacing anything, just buy another. I bought mine on sale at MidwayUSA, they were $16.61! I should have bought several!

No comment on battery life yet. It cannot possibly be worse than the Walker's I retired. At least these are using AAA's and I don't have to pull each ear piece apart (never again will I own a set like that).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Return to “The Shooting Range”